What would you want in a doula?

If you decided to use a doula, what would be your personal "qualifications" if you will....what do you need in a doula? I am going to be learning how to be a doula and any advice would help. Thank you

sweetmoonem

Asked by sweetmoonem at 12:04 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i want a doula to be able to comfort me and be able to bring me back down to earth if i start to freak out and to remind me of what my wishes were. if i was in a hospital, i would want a doula to be able to fight for all my wishes since i wouldn't be able to (i would just end up smacking the dr or nurse, and then there's a lawsuit on my hands). if i'm at home, i want the support that my husband doesn't know how to give. you're a woman, and you know how to comfort me better during labor than my husband does. you've been there and he hasn't.
    your going to have diff needs from every woman. also, they're going to be significantly diff when it is in diff settings. a woman in a hospital will need more from you (IMO) than a woman at home. in a hospital, you are fighting for the birth she wants. at home, you are helping her through the process and not having to fight at all.
    also, CONGRATS!!! i too hope to become a doula one day.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 2:55 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• what the hell is a dula? It sounds like madulahablangata from the waterboy lol
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:05 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i would want you to fight for the birth i want in a hospital. i would also like you to help me with natural pain control methods while im in labor. back massages, breathing, and focusing on other stuff while im in pain. make sure i dont have a bunch of interventions.
    trelimon

Answer by trelimon at 12:29 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Persoanlly I would recomend you study Husband Coached Child Birth started by Dr. Robert Bradely. He was very ahead of his time. If you can help your clients achieve some of the things that Dr. Bradley teaches, such as the possiblity of a PAIN FREE or low pain birth, i think you will keep your self very busy and well sought after. I did not take any birthing classes, but read and reread Dr. Brandley's books many times and feel I did very well with both of my natural childbirths (husband as coach). Although my first was not as good as my second due to being induced for low fluid. Also another good book is by Susan McCutcheon who was a student of Dr. Bradley. Reading in her book the information on the Emotional Stages of labor I think would also be a big help. It was a great help to me and my husband. Good luck and many happy healthy Babies!!
    Noble_One

Answer by Noble_One at 1:15 AM on Aug. 7, 2009