has anyone?

i was wondering if anyone has takeing lithium 900 mg while preg....my dr wants to put me on it for the duration of pregnancy but i guess there is a rare chance of a heart defect that we wont know about intill 20 weeks...im torn b/c i need to be on something but i dont want to harm the baby dh is leaving it up to me he says i can always go back to the hospitable if needed if i choose not to medicate...what would u do?

rainmommy

Asked by rainmommy at 12:40 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• is that for seizures or bi polar?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• what would it be prescribed for? If its for bi-polar, I personally wouldnt take it. If you havent been on it before then I would just hold off
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:54 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• well depending on what its for...
    But if the doctor wants you to take it, its for a reason. And as long as its not a class C pill, you should take it.
    I am going to my doctor for my seizures, and I'm going to start taking pills b/c I don't want to harm my baby by falling or something and my ob recommend me to.
    Good Luck
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:00 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• No,I was able to stay off my meds(not lithium) till the 3rd tri-mester.One unexpected pregnancy I was on meds till I found out I was pregnant,This meds caused birthdefect in the first 30 days so we had a chance of a problem.Slight but still there I stopped imediatly and we were lucky.He is abright healthy 12 yr.old.Something my docs did do was as soon as i gave birth I was put on hormones to make the change in hormonal levels easier and not dramatic.I was able to breastfeed no prob.Sometimes a big drop in hormones can trigger mental health issues.Just a suggestion to talk over with your docs.Take care and best of luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• op its for bi polar i have been on it but only for a couple weeks its a class d drug as where when i was on nuerontin that was a class c drug...i dont get the logic that dont want me on class c but they want to put me on class d...isnt class d worse then class c?
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:52 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• yes, class D is WAY worse then class C!

Cat A -only thing in it is tylenol which is proven totally safe
    Cat B- studies ran and there are no known defects to the baby
    Cat C- unknown whether or not damage can be done to the baby
    Cat D- known complications

I would NEVER take a Cat D drug during pregnancy unless it was a matter of life or death for me. I personally would chose the hospitalization route that you talked about before I would start a new med during pregnancy that has known consequences
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:37 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• op thank everyone who has answered im going to talk to my ob fri and let her know that i will not take the lithium or the nuerontin....i explained to my hubby what this means since i like to have his opion on things and he said that it doesnt matter if i get spazy he'll run interference for me i kn ow there r other moms out there in my boat so y havent they developed a drug that we can take while preg?
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2009