DO YOU THINK THE SOUTH IS A PLACE TO LIVE AT FOR BLACK PEOPLE?

I LIVE IN THE SOUTH AND ALL I CAN SEE IS HATE AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND.IT HAS BEEN A BIG DEAL ABOUT OBAMA BEING A BLACK MAN.I JUST WANT SOME TUREFUL ANSWERS AND NO TALKING SHIT TO ME BECAUSE I JUST ASK A QUESTION.THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS.

godsaves

Asked by godsaves at 1:28 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• I don't live in the south so I really don't know.
    I have heard that there is still a lot of racist people there. A for Obama, well the sad fact is there are still so many who may evebn say they are not racist yet they will not vote for a black man, they will find other reasons to tell people why they will not vote for him but in reality they are bigots.
    I myself am voting for Obama, I hope and pray that people can see beyond the color of his skin and vote for the person. I also think for all of those people who say he is balc and that they will not vote for him because of it, well he is just as white as he is black. But it should not matter, its so sad that it does.
    libbykate

Answer by libbykate at 1:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• hECK NO
    dddddmom

Answer by dddddmom at 3:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I am a white woman from New Orleans, LA. I live in MS now and I have experienced racism in both places. I was affected by hurricane Katrina and I lived in Texas for a while after. There were more people than I can count that made racist remarks about New Orleans...straight to my face. I would tell them that I was born and raised there and I was offended by their comments. You should have seen the looks on their faces!  As far as Obama, I think there are alot of people that have false conceptions about him. Growing up in New Orleans, I had black and white friends and was taught that it was wrong to judge a person by the color of their skin and teach the same to my children.  So I would say it really depends on where in the South!  But remember, there is racism EVERYWHERE! You just have to try to teach your kids not to be racist. Racism breeds hate.
    jentro90

Answer by jentro90 at 6:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Well I am originally from the South but I live in PA now and I can tell you that there are just as many racists up here as there are down there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I live on the outskirts of Atlanta, and I can tell you that our Mayor is black, the Chief of the Sherriff's Dept. is black, and so on... People in the South are no more or less racially prejudiced than anywhere else. I think it has more to do with the size of the town that you choose to live in. You will find more diversity and tolerance in and around large cities than in small towns, IMO, whether in the north or the south.
    DivaMomCC

Answer by DivaMomCC at 9:05 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Well, I live in California and I have met some racist people out here too. I think it's everywhere you go. I wish people would grow up and see just how much damage racism does. Live and let live!
    msp12r

Answer by msp12r at 9:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• ARE YOU SERIOUS? UGGHHH the south is no more racist then the rest of the FREAKING WORLD> The south isnt full of Racist white rednecks who carry shotguns everywhere..... my dd is a minority in the public school she attends She Has BEST FRIENDS who are Black or mixed or Hispanic. your going to find racism here in the south just as you will in md. I lived in md when i was young with my brother who is Mixed, someone in the middle of the night wrote GO BACK TO AFRICA YOU N**&&^# on the side of my house. along with N*&&^% lovers live here.... The Fbi was called in and It was reported as a hate crime On Naval housing base. Its everywhere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Racism is everywhere, not just the south. And Obama is half black, half white, so he's mixed, not just black.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Racism is unfortunately everywhere. It's sad it's the time we live in people don't accept eachother period. They don't like you b/c you are not their race or your overweight or you don't make as much money as them it spans far beyond skin color. God made all of us we are all special in his eyes, but will everyone ever accept that, sadly no they never have and never will.
    Getpaidwithxoxo

Answer by Getpaidwithxoxo at 11:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• i dont live over there but from what i have heard the south is the most racis place to be, like i said though never been there just what i have heard also back in history to.
    sammy04k

Answer by sammy04k at 12:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2008