any suggestions on getting my 4month old to sleep?

My 4 month old son is still getting up every two to three hours. We have tried a swaddle blanket but he amazingly get himself out of it in about 20 minutes and is awake again. he doesn't nap well during the day either, so i would think he would be tired at night, but he cant seem to quit wiggling enough to sleep.

boo_bear

Asked by boo_bear at 1:49 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it may be that he isn't napping well during the day so he's overtired at night and that is keeping him up. i know it sounds weird but my daughter is the same way, was from birth and shes 3 1/2 now. so try to get him to nap a little more during the day if possible. if he sleeps better in the middle of a room full of noise (older siblings, pets the tv etc...) during the day, than get him a noise machine at night or vice versa. does he fall asleep on his own or do you rock him? maybe try the opposite of whatever you are doing. how much does he eat before he goes to bed? maybe try feeding him closer to bedtime and a little more if he'll take it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:52 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• He is not ready. Mine was 8 months old before she slept six solid hours.

Some one told me that the smarter they are the less they sleep; I don't know if it is true, but it made me feel better

Answer by rkoloms at 11:29 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• His waking pattern is completely normal. Five hours is sleeping through the night, and often isn't achieved with regularity for a long time. Generally not by four months.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2009