Will someone please tell me the system is not this bad?

My SIL was talking to DH and she claimed that her friend sold her $200 worth of food stamps for $100. She said that it is just a card like a debit/credit card that she uses at the register. I said that she will get caught because they will check her ID, that they have to do something to keep people from cheating the system but DH says they don't check ID or anything.
I just don't believe it. I have never been on food stamps, but did have WIC for about 4 months about 3 years ago. I remember that I had to show my drivers license every time to prove that I was the person receiving WIC.
Somebody has got to know the answer to this one. Please tell me our government system is a little better than this! It just seems so stupid if it is that easy to fraud the system.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope do not have to show any ID
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I think the dollar will be useless one day, start finding ways to plant veggies ect., this may be the worst depression we have ever seen! stock pile beans and things now maybe??? really!
    Anonymous

• no they don't check id. when we lived in MS everyone who was in a hurricane ravaged zone after katrina was automatically given a card for 4 months following the hurricane. they never once checked id, however i may be wrong b/c it was also a situational/temporary thing and alot of people where using them at that time. but i know they have a PIN just like an atm/debit card, and alot of places assume if you know a PIN you are the person who is supposed to use the card.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:11 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My sister had one after Katrina and they never checked her ID. When my mother got wic they never checked her ID either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Here in WA they DO check ID if you ues WIC checks or the EBT card (food stamp card).. Actually I SHOULD say the stores in Everett my daughter goes to does
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 4:40 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I used to get accosted by people outside the one grocery store wanting me to buy their stamps.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:04 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• you're supposed to check for ID with anything, BUT if it's EBT or debit you don't have to if the
    PIN in going in right. don't worry or complain about their abuse. the penny in tax dollars you're paying towards it you aren't missing. that person will be caught and dealt with eventually so just let it happen
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 6:52 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• In Missouri Id is not checked, and you can "write in" people who are allowed to use the card or WIC checks changing it from month to month. They did not check in GA either. Signature just has to match on the WIC checks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• They don't check ID in GA, either.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 8:14 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• As long as you know the pin number, they dont need your ID.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:17 AM on Aug. 7, 2009