Anyone know how the whole maternity leave, disability, family leave act thing works??? i totally dont know what to do or where to start!!

nurseashley10

Asked by nurseashley10 at 2:09 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• go to human services Dept, and SS. Dept ASK?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• go through the human resources center for your company. and they will give you the information that you'd need to apply for your leave and let you know what paperwork is required, how long the state says you can take, and how long they say you can take (some places offer more than the state says you are allowed, they can not offer less however). ask your boss for copies of the maternity leave policies and go from there.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:12 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Start with your HR department or employee handbook. The guidelines for your company will be there.

Here in California you can collect disability pay if you are not working due to pregnancy. AND you get up to six weeks of paid family leave, which is also disability pay. Note that disability pay is only 55% of your regular pay. http://www.paidfamilyleave.org/

Answer by gdiamante at 2:14 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I t alked to my boss about that the other day. She made it sound like I just stop coming into work once the baby is born. I'm sure theres paperwork or something. I live in Indiana, so i dont know if laws are different. But she said I can take up to 12 weeks, and after that 12 weeks if I dont come back then they consider it that I quit.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 7:33 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• If you are going to be getting disability there is paperwork.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:22 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Your HR dept. will know. Generally, if you work for a company with more than 50 employees at your location, they're required to give you 12 weeks UNPAID maternity leave under the FMLA act. You can supplement it with accrued vacation, sick and personal time.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2009