What is a good bedtime routine for a 1 and two year old who share a room?

Most nights, it feels like we spend all night getting the kids to bed. I would like ideas for a routine that lasts 30-45 minutes for BOTH kids and frees up my husband and I by 8:30. These days, we each have a kid and we both fall asleep with them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My sons have been sharing a room since they were 6 months and 21 months. They are now 2 and 3 years old. We brush teeth and take a bath (sometimes). After that we head to their room and read books. After praying with them and giving hugs and kisses we leave the room. Lately our youngest keeps getting out of bed. We are working with him again to keep him there. LOL! They were in bed at 7:30 last night and the youngest fell asleep at 8;30. It's getting better!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:14 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• the routine micheledo used is PERFECT! the only thing i would reccomend is if a child gets out of bed, dont talk to them or give them any attention...just take them calmly by the hand and lead them back into bed..no fuss...do the same thing if the kid comes out of thier room to ask you something...what they are doing is finding reasons to stay up...the less attention you give them and the quicker and more boring you make it to lead them back to bed...the quicker they will stop...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:23 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• After dinner start getting them bathed. After baths and dressed for bed get their teeth brushed. Go to their room and have them get in bed. If reading a book won't work then ask them what they are going to dream about. My son used to love to tell me what his dreams were going to be. For us dinner was about 6:30 and he was finally in bed by 8. Hope you get some relief.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:24 AM on Aug. 7, 2009