Has anyone seen the "your baby can read" infomercial?

is it a load of crap or does it really work i just want whats best for my little guys but is this just another hooked on phonics?

working_mama

Asked by working_mama at 7:02 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's so dumb. Why do you want your child to read at one?? That's just not normal. There are other things in life to teach them. The whole logic behind the concept is word recognition. Well, if you point to a dog and keep saying dog to your child, they will know to call that a dog. Well, if you show a child a word, and keep saying the word, they will recognize it too. It's all a matter of what you want your child to learn. And do they really need to read a newspaper at the age of 1????
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 7:19 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I think they may be good if your child is behind in speech which mine is a little so me and my husband ordered them havent got them yet though
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 7:21 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Those babies seem conditioned just like pavlos dogs. Its easy to condition something that doesn't know better. Do they really know what they are saying and doing? No.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I kind of have mixed feelings about it. I want to get it for my daughter, but it just seems too good to be true. Like, you can teach your one year old child to read a full book...come on...that seems a little far fetched to me.
    Crystal2509

Answer by Crystal2509 at 7:58 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• IMO I think it's crap. Just another way for folks to make money. It's just memorizing and people don't know how to let babies be babies anymore.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I'm watching it now. I won't buy it but it's sure motivating me to teach my kids more! LOL
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 8:54 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• We considered buying it but did not want to pay that much. I ended up going to the dollar store and getting flash cards, posters and homeschool type books. At 2 (well she has 4 days to go) she knows her ABCs and can count to 20. She points out letters all the time, she spelled DELL when seeing it on a computer LOL I think she may want a computer by her 3rd birthday! Also we read regular books every night and she does recognize words.
    beautyqueen616

Answer by beautyqueen616 at 9:07 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• In order to really be able to read (not just recognize) words, there are certain steps to take. A child has to recognize the alphabet and that each letter makes a certain sound. The child has to then realize that the letters can be put together to make longer sounds called words. The child must also realize that not all sounds put together form real words. Until a child can learn these steps he or she cannot possibly be able to read, although I do agree it is possible to teach a child to recognize certain groups as a particular word. The best way to teach a child to read is to read to him or her and practice the alphabet. Remember there is a reason why reading and spelling are skills taught in school....because that's the age that kids are typically able to learn these skills.
    nikspineapple

Answer by nikspineapple at 9:25 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Anyone think stuff like this could possibly cause more problems for the child later on when it comes to learning? I mean something just doesn't sit right with me about stuff like that.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:35 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• So...I wouldn't wastet the $200 on that program because the 1st poster is right. It's a waist a $$$, but the concept is NOT a waste of time. My daughter (she will be 3 in October) is spelling and reading her nursery books. I didn't have to buy this system or even know about to understand how a child learns, it's repetition just like anything else you teach them. As for wanting to have your child read at 1, the precipice and reason behind this program is that scientific research shows that children absorb information at a higher rate up until age 5 at which time they still absorb, but the rate decreases. I think that you have to gauge your child and know whether or not THEY are interested in this type of learning. My daughter was, she wasn't satisfied with just playing and interacting, she wanted to learn. Some kids do some don't. But, don't waste your $$, just use the principles and go from there.

smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 9:49 AM on Aug. 7, 2009