breast feeding book, to read or not to read?

I was thinking maybe a book would scare me or give me expectations or somehow mess me up if I start reading before he actually gets here and I start. I was looking into something a little funny and light hearted but with lots of facts and tips, but I was thinking maybe I should learn how to do it on my own (and with the help of medical/lactation professionals) before I get my head tainted with anything from a book. What do you think??

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 7:53 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh yes, read anything and everything you can about BFing! Hook up with a LLL meeting, go to any BFing seminars your hospital offers, research via the internet (kellymom.com is an EXCELLENT source). Do anything you can! Arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can.

I truly believe having the knowledge I did is what led to a successful BFing relationship with my 3rd baby after I failed the first two times.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:43 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Every breastfeeding book I read was very helpful. I didn't read as much during my pregnancy, just sort of skimmed. I did know what to expect and basically how to do everything before he came from what I brisked over. I then read them like crazy during the first few weeks. Gave nice tips and how to improve what I was doing and better ways of doing. I really enjoyed reading them. To me, the books were more helpful than the professionals. I highly recommend picking one up just to give you an idea.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 7:59 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I've heard good things about "So That's What They're For".
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:24 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I was very undecided on whether or not to BF and our local Babies-R-Us had a breastfeeding course offered and I went just to get some information and in the end it made me more comfortable with the idea and the seminar was very informative and the ladies were very nice in answering questions! If there is something like this in your area I would recommend it!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:51 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I think I read every book in the library on breastfeeding while I was pregnant. This was my 3rd child and it didnt go well with the first. It mustve helped because we made it past a year with no supplementing! Every book I read had different opinions and different tips. Its nice to hear about all of them and then pick what works for you. Even the lactation people will give different ideas. I dont think it will taint you at all.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 9:50 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Knowledge is power!! Read everthing that you can. See if your hospital has a new mom support group.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:25 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Most BF books I read had the same advice..just make sure its been published in the last 5 years.

I think every new mom should read this.

http://pediatrics.about.com/library/breastfeeding/blbreastfeedingm.htm

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2009