Do you know an adult that has Tourettes Syndrome?

My DH's dr told him he may possibly have TS. He often has uncontrolable shoulder and arm tics. They worsen when he is upset. He also shows many other symoptons of TS (sleep disorders, OCD, etc) I have been looking it up on th web, and only am finding info on children. Apparently it is not as common in adults. I would like to hear if anyone else has/is going through this. How do you find a Dr that can diagnose TS in adults?
Thank You for any input at all

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Health

• my sil has tourettes.has had it since he was a child.also has ocd.he was on ritilin but got off it.my daughter said he used to beat up his father when he was little but that was his so called tick.my daughter says everyonce in a while now you can see symtoms.but the ocd.ya thats still there.it caught on to me when i went over there house and he was always cleaning the house.at first i thought wow this is wonderfulbut then i caught on there is something else wrong.fyi,tourettes can be inherited so there baby is being tested for it but she has to be a certain age and it is in the genes,she is perfectly perfect except for one thing...and i just cant pin point what that is.but my daughter is looking into it so.
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 8:21 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Most people with TS are diagnosed as children, which is why there are so many websites on children with TS. I am surprised he has dealt with it this long without one of his teachers etc catching it at school. My godson's father has it (diagnosed when he was 4), and my godson is being tested for it soon. In milder cases there are tics that worsen with agitation or stress, ocd - all of the things you mention pretty much. I would ask your general practitioner about seeing a specialist and have them recommend someone. Usually by the time a person with TS is an adult, they've gotten it under control but they can still test for it in adults. Good luck!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:37 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I am the OP- He was in a special needs school as a child, and picked on a lot for being "different" I think it is honestly something his parents knew and never fully told him about. It isn't really apparent unless you kow him. I would like to get him evaluated to find out if this is really what it it is or not, but am having a hard time finding anyone that treats aduts with TS.
    I also now am gatting concerns about my children, I haven't noticed anything yet in them, but read one place there is a 50% chance it would be passed to children. IDK, really just looking for as much info as I can get. Thanks for the inout.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• not inout----input sorry
    Anonymous

• basically an adult can 'continue' to have TS into adulthood............some kids outgrow the tics - some don't////////but to be called TS is has to have an onset before the age of 18. He more than likely had the tics younger - maybe just didn't realize he was having them.....as tics change over and over again/
    JustGail

Answer by JustGail at 8:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2009