I just don't get extended breastfeeding?

I really don't understand how people can extended breastfeed. I don't get how people aren't as grossed out by it s I am...I see people attaching their kids who are the same age as mine to their boob and it freaks me out! My daughter is 2.4 and is such a big girl I couldn't imagine doing something so babyish with her. Ok..you wanna breastfeed and that's awesome...for a little while. If you feel it's so necessary to continue giving your 5 year old breastmilk why not put it in a freaking cup so it's not so disturbing? How is it not child abuse to stick your boob in a kindergarteners mouth? How can you not expect them to be emotionally scarred? I'm not trying to be B**** or bash anyone but seriously...I just don't get it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• By the time a kid is 4 or 5, they should be eating their nutrition. Table food. There is NO need for them to get nutrition from breast milk. And if you feel there is, why not put it in a cup as the OP mentioned? It does not have to come from the breast. (and I find it offensive when you BREAST feeders call it a "boob". Look up the definition for that word)

Comparing the US to "other countries" is apples and oranges. In countries where daily nutrition is "iffy" at best, it makes sense for women to extend their breastfeeding!! In the US it does NOT make sense! there is absolutely NO need for it. No physical (well, maybe the MOM physically needs it), no nutritional need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• What was the point of this post? If you don't get it, look away. That simple. It is none of your business anyway.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 8:38 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• She's right...it's none of your business. If you don't get it or don't like it the simplest thing to do is just ignore it. They aren't breaking any laws and they aren't harming your child. They are doing what they feel is best for their child. You don't have to "get it"....it's called tolerance. Live and let live.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 8:43 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I don't get a lot of things that go on in this world, however, everyone is entitled to do what they feel is right for them. Some choices are not the right ones, some choices are, and some are just right for that person/family, whatever you're talking about.

There's no sense in starting drama on here with a post like this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It's healthy and there are benefits to both mother and child. In most countries, the breastfeed until 4! Just becuase it's not what you are used to seeing, doesn't mean it's not right or shouldn't be accepted.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• it's not very accepted in this country bc we've sexualized the breast so much. in other countries, as anon said, they breastfeed until 4. it's the norm for them and no one thinks it's gross or babyish in those countries.
    why start drama? if you don't like it, don't look. no need to look down on someone for not choosing what you chose. and if it's so gross, then why would the WHO recommend to bf up til the age of 2. there's benefits no matter the age.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:19 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Wow. You are pretty judgemental. Breastfeeding is a natural, beautiful, healthy support for your child's emotional and physical well being. It's not akin to child abuse or "scarring" as you have said. No mother who ever breastfed her child would pass judgement so easily as you have done.

Live and let live.
    momtokate

Answer by momtokate at 9:24 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• By the way, I was breastfed past two and I suffer from no emotional scarring whatsoever. In fact, I am grateful my mother sacrificed so much for me to get the best nutrition. The only reason we stopped was because I grew a cold sore and when we went to resume breastfeeding after it healed, her milk was gone.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 10:12 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I'm begining to think some Moms do it for their own enjoyment...not for their babies
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• This trolling for drama question is asked at least once a week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Aug. 7, 2009