i dont get it...

i walked into school yesterday to register.all was good i kept going through the lines.noticing there were all single moms there.then i got to the end of the line to pay these woman all had vouchers.i asked my husband about this and he said they wouldnt give us a dime.so i paid out of pocket.good for these woman but what about the average working joe?i would like to get some benefits for something.maybe for school.but since my husband busts his hump 12 hrs a day we get nothing and am going to have to pay adventually for all this.i dont get it we seem to be doing alot for people on assistance and thats fine but nothing for anyone else...not fair..am i wrong or does anyone else agree with me.

nana77500

Asked by nana77500 at 8:37 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in

• tell your husband not to work so hard and make less money so that you can get financial aid
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 8:40 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• 1. What makes you think those moms don't work?

2. I see you mentioned that your DH works 12 hours a day. DO YOU WORK?
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:40 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I get what you're saying. You see all of these other families having it "easier" than it is for yall to struggle. I see the same thing. It is frustrating to me. I know how hard I worked as a single mom and now as a wife. It takes what DH and I make to run our household. It seems that there is never enough money for the things the kids want or need beyond our bills. Then you go to the school and see all the ones on free lunch, WIC, food stamps...you wonder when you'll get a break.

And the truth is you won't get a break. The ones that pay taxes won't ever get a break. We are the ones supplying the free rides for the others on assistance. That is just how it is. There is no break for the middle class. I'm sorry you're frustrated.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• yes i do work...and i dont want my husband to work less so we can get assistance thats just taking advantage of the system...
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 8:53 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Hold your head up and be PROUD you don't get assistance! I've never once had to complete free or reduced lunch paperwork except to write "DO NOT QUALIFY" across the top of the page. The satsifaction of knowing my husband and I are taking care of our family is priceless.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 9:02 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• The middle class can make their own breaks, but it takes time and work. THose on assistance don't have the resources to make their own breaks, so they get assistance. Now yes there are plenty that abuse the system, but I don't think that most do. I am still paying on my loans from my degree that I got 7 years ago, and am planing on going back, because I know in the long run my family and I will be better off.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:36 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• There are many scholarships available. You should always try, and not just assume that you can't get one. Start with the financial aid office at your school, and search here: www.fastweb.com

Answer by rkoloms at 11:03 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Maybe those single mom DO work and aren't on assistance. You are making an assumption without knowing their situation. Quit gripping, you could be on assistance at anytime in this wonderful economy we are in. You would be very surprised at how much you can make a year and still qualify for free or reduced lunches. I am on assistance (food stamps and medicaid), go to school and work. I am busting my butt to better my situation so I can get off the assistance and it would be nice to get support instead of assumptions that I am abusing the system by someone who has no clue what my situation is. Try to have empathy for others, it really helps everyone.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• What gets me is why you were watching how everyone else was paying and making assumptions. First you assume they were all single mothers. Then you assume they were all on assistance. They might work just as hard as your husband but don't quite makes as much. They might not be single at all. They could have a disabled husband. They could be a widow. You don't know the situation or how they got the vouchers. You don't have to be on assistance to get a school voucher, I have looked into it and we qualify, but we're not on assistance. I am sure that since you are assuming about them, you'd assume about me as well, because I am young which in the eyes of most automatically means I must be single.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I was a single mom and didn't qualify for ANYTHING. I was frustrated that you get everything or you get nothing. I fell into the "nothing" department. LOL. It was tough for me because I was making VERY little money at the time, but the cut off for getting ANYTHING was $15,000 a year, and you know that no one can live on $15K a year in San Diego with children. I don't begrudge anyone the help they need - only the ones working the system. If you're driving a brand new Expedition to drop your kids off at free daycare, you probably fudged the paperwork to get them into the program. THAT is my only problem with public assistance.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 4:04 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

Next question in
Back To School Time!

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
sweets