My son is pointing, have eye contact, and babbling but not talking yet....should I check with the ped or is there any specialist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is your son? you can encourage his language by "labeling" everything... children do not develope their language skill first that is why sign language is so good, a child can understand your words and express their wants by pointing and grunting but the words are last to come... here in Mo we have Parents As Teachers program at every school in the state, they will give you the milestone information and ways to encourage the development... make good face to face contact... let your son see how you move your mouth and form your words... keep up the good work!
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 9:01 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• How old? Those all sound like very good signs. I wouldn't be concerned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My daughter didn't talk till she was 2 1/2 and she was doing all those same things. You have to remember all kids develope at a different rate. She is now 9 and once she started talking, never stops! I would give it a while longer before you become overly concerned about it. If you would like to talk more about it, give me a shout. :)
    MinnieMagic

Answer by MinnieMagic at 10:22 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It depends on how hold he is. By the age of 2, they should have 50 words and start using 2-3 word phrases.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:39 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• my son is 20 months and says about 20 words no real sentences yet at his 18 month check up his pediatrician said he should be saying 10 to 15 words he points and jabbers like hes talking his own little language and he understnds much of what we say to him and he follows simple commands she said these were all good signs he is just very stubbarn
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 7, 2009