if your daughter....

Told you she was pregnant but she was 19 would you still be mad? what you would do? I am trying to figure out how i could tell my parents.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• at 19, not mad but a little disappointed, but i'd be there for her and help her the best i could GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:33 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• They probably won't be happy. Try and have a plan also when telling them, like you're going to stay in school or work, and stick to what you tell them. They are probably going to be more disappointed then anything, and feel like you have blown your chances for a good education/successful life, but the best thing you can do is prove them wrong. Once the baby is here, they won't be mad anymore lol. Your baby will probably become the light in their eyes. good luck
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• How responsible are you as an adult? If you're living off your parents with no intentions of getting a job, etc etc then I can see how they would be livid as they will be raising the baby but if you're a responsible adult, atleast putting effort towards making your life better the they may be a bit disappointed but can't really be mad. You're an adult. It's not easy telling your parents but believe me once you do things will be so much better. Believe me , I know, LOL I got pregnant at 16 and it was hell before I told my parents.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:38 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I would be very disappointed because I'd want her to finish college and GET married. Society looks down on unmarried women with children and I would not want her to have to deal with that. If she was in a very good relationship with a nice guy and they planned on getting married and she promised that she would finish college, than that would heip alot.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 9:45 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I'd feel conflicted, but not disappointed. I'd feel sad that she wasn't more careful, but proud of her for stepping up to do the right thing in the face of a difficult situation. I'd try to be supportive, but I'd never be one of those moms that lets my daughter run around and live the crazy life while I raise her baby. Make sure you explain that you plan on doing a lot of growing up really fast.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:00 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Honestly I would thank my lucky stars that she wasn't telling me this at 15, I would be somewhat disappointed but I would be very supportive and understanding. She's my baby afterall, no matter how old she is and I would always be there for her.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 10:04 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It would be something to adjust to, because I have always hoped my daughter would go to college and have a career and do some other things before she has children, but even with all of that, I would adjust and make the best of it. It might take some time for me to get used to the idea, but I would get used to it....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:32 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It was hard for me telling my parents that I was pregnant.... and I was already married!
    If my daughter told me, at age 19, that she was pregnant... well, I don't think I would be mad. She is an adult and can make her own decisions. I might be disappointed, but what's done is done. I would expect her to get a job (if she didn't already have one) and still go to school so she can provide for the baby the best way she can.
    I would expect her to tell the father, too. Not only her father, but her baby's father. I would expect him to step up, and help with the baby, even if it is only in child support. She's not the Virgin Mary!

I would support her any way I could... after all, she will always be my baby.
    angelofice

Answer by angelofice at 10:36 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My oldest dd was 13 so yeah I was angry then but when my youngest dd turned 19 yr and came up pregnant it didn't bother me as much since she was an adult by then and i wasn't responsible for her. The biggest thing is the disappointment that young women like that have set up obstacles for their life but it doesn't ruin a life...it just makes it a bigger challenge. It's all good.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:42 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• just a quick word of advice when telling them: enthusiasm. Don't go in with your head held down and looking ashamed of yourself. Go in with a smile on your face and show enthusiasm. It will affect the way they react. Just get through the initial reaction then you can convey your concerns later. Practice and prepare for different reactions and how you will respond to them. Hang in there. Once the shock is over mom will want to go shopping to buy baby things!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:46 AM on Aug. 7, 2009