Parvo?

Any info would help. If your puppy had it what was the out come good or bad. If your puppy was ok did he have to be on a special diet or any type of special care? Did you finish with the rest of the parvo shots?

mom-2-4boys

Asked by mom-2-4boys at 9:44 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Pets

• i had a dog with parvo, he had to stay at the vet until he was well, they put him on ivs & quarantined (sp?) him until he was better, thank god he made it but it was scary

josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:46 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• it's an extremely serious and delicate situation where the dog is best left at the vet until they are better. usually they are fed a bland diet so as not to hurt their tummy more, but not until they can hold down food. it would be very important to get the rest of the parvo shots once the dog is feeling better.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Another ? How long do they stay at the vet? So far we have been told we caught it early (within 24 hours of him not acting like himself), he is now drinking on his own and eating a little. But he still looked so scared, might because he is used to being with family not in a cage at the vets. He chewed threw the iv tubing so it was not even running yesturday. Just looking for hope, so many have told me my puppy was just going to die. The vet just doesn't want to give false hope but thinks he is doing very well. Also have bleached everything possible in the house, threw out blankets and toys he used before he was at the vets. Is there anything else we should do before he comes home?

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 10:02 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• my dog stayed for a little over a week.... sounds like you have everything as clean as possible with the bleaching and all, yeah he may be scared at the vet but i'd rather my dog be scared for a few days rather than die at home, they can replace the iv, and maybe put some tape over it so it's harder to chew... GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• because you caught it early and did the smart thing by bringing him to the vet, it sounds like he's going to do well. i worked at a vet and lots of people did bring in their pet when it had gone on for a few days, and they would stay for at least a week, sometimes 2-3 if it was bad. bleaching things is a good idea- it sounds like you are doing everything you should! the fact that he's eating on his own and drinking, especially if he's holding it down, is a good sign :)
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• OK, just called the vet with an luck the puppy gets to come home tomorrow =) He had no problems last night and has eaten the amount of food they wanted him to. Thank you for the positive responses.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 11:45 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• glad to hear your little one is doing well!!! if you got him from a breeder, you may also want to let them know in case any of the other pups from the litter have it too so they can contact the new owners.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• A few years ago, my mom and I had gotten puppies. Her puppy had gotten sick and she took him to the vet. The vet gave her an antibiotic and pills to keep him from throwing up. He didn't make it through the weekend. My puppy started getting sick so she gave me the meds the vet gave her for her puppy. I started my puppy on the meds and would make oatmeal (spoon fed as couple spoons a few times a day) and I gave him Gatorade several times a day. In about a week he was well again.
    JonesboroGypsy

Answer by JonesboroGypsy at 2:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2009