Does your newborn have trouble with a pacifier?

My son is three weeks old and he loves to have a pacifier in his mouth when he falls asleep. The only issue is, he can't seem to hold it in there for very long. At first I thought it meant he didn't want it, but he throws a fit when he doesn't have it so I started using it again. Every time it falls out of his mouth when he's sleeping, he instantly wakes up and screams. We've tried two different kinds of pacifiers; the Soothies and the classic shaped ones. We've also tried newborn pacifiers since he's sort of small but we haven't had luck with anything.
Did anyone else have this problem?
If so, did you ever find a solution and what was it?
If not, any suggestions would be so much more than appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

jennifercalling

Asked by jennifercalling at 9:45 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• both mine did/do this, but usually after about an hour or two of being asleep they don't care as much. so if i had to, i sit near them while they are in a swing or bassinet or whatever and as soon as it starts to slip out pop it back in. after i can rub their cheeks w/my hand and they don't wake up, i know they won't wake if they lose the pacifier. figured that out by mistake w/my daughter and its working just as well w/my son. which is fine by me b/c he goes to bed really early at night (usually) so i'm still up anyways
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:08 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I swaddled my babies and made sure i had enough fabric to cover the pacifier.( thats sounds bad..but I cant explaine it better lol) It worked and she has always slept threw the night. She is 6 months and has not used one since she was about 3 months..The also make these 

http://www.mom4life.com/catalog.php?item=750

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:55 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I had to wait until my son figured out to find it himself! LOL! I think he was around 9 months. Otherwise I got up in the night and gave it back to him when he needed it! My other two never took a pacifier.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:06 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• it's normal for it to fall out when falls asleep, that is because he stops sucking.
    He is only 3-weeks old, he may want more to eat, this is the time when they grow fast.
    I say do not force the pacifier on him by making sure it stays on him all the time. Some do need it. But it is not a plug.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:10 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My baby never took one. She hated it.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009