Pictures of kids on the internet

Why do some people freek out if a relative or friend puts a picture of their child on Myspace or Facebook. People think someone is going to do something to their child because of the picture. Yet other people put pictures of their children on this site.

What danger can come of children because their picture is on the internet? If that danger is real should people be putting pictures on this website? Do people on this website want to look at pictures of other people's children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I've never had an issue of anyone putting a pic of my kids up...the ONLY time i said something to anyone was my niece when she posted a pic of my 6yo sitting cross legged in a skirt, full underwear viewable...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• As much as you love the child and want to show off your pictures of them if the parents do not approve then you should not, I do not post pictures of my children any where. I read many articles where a child can be tracked through the pictures, look at myspace. Many put the town they are from on the site, they post pictures from their home, (inside and out) their community and such. Determined predators from the area could easily find where the child lives. Also there are predators that look at the pictures, alter the pictures and sell the for perverse reasons. I don't know about you however I do NOT want to take the off chance and my child be hurt because a predator found my child attractive, and I do NOT want their pictures in their possession.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• If a psycho sees a picture of a kid on somebody's page and decides they want to go snatch that child and the person lists the city they live in or happens to be a member of the school group for the school that child attends, it wouldn't be difficult for the psycho to find that child. At least if you are the only one loading pics of your child on the internet you have some control of those things, and on this site you can even control exactly who sees them. When friends or family do it you have no idea who they are connected to or what info they have shared about where they are located or anything like that. Whether or not people "should" load pics of their children on this or any site is completely up to that individual, I just hope everybody is aware of the risks involved when doing so.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 10:15 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I never had a problem with it (infact I have a bazillion pics of my son on my facebook) but just the other night my dad said he heard of a woman who found pictures of her child on an adoption website. People can easily copy your pictures off the internet. I just make sure that I keep my facebook private so only my friends can them
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• If a family member puts a picture of my kid (or even me ) on their site without my permission yes I do get pissed off. Why? Because he is MINE not theirs to parade around basically. I'm really careful what I post on public places and i'll be damned if i'm going to have someone post a picture of my son so people I don't even know can view them.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:26 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I tend to agree that the risk is very very small, because after all, these kids are out and about living their lives already and if anyone wanted to "snatch" them they wouldn't have to look them up on the internet first....but I also agree that no one should post another person's child's picture without their permission.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:36 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• just watermark your pix before you put them on the Internet
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• MY kid, not THEIRS. MY pictures, not THEIRS. *I* control where pictures of MY kids go, not them. I have actually stopped allowing on grandfather to take pictures of my kids because he was sending them out over the internet...and his wife was posting them on Facebook...NOT secured!! They would not abide by our requests not to put OUR kids pictures on the internet, so now they don't get pictures.

To be honest...we even threatened them with copyright charges if they posted OUR pictures again, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

___
    I agree with this.

I think we take more of a risk by just living our lives, than by putting pictures of our kids on the internet. I wonder if there have actually been any cases of a child being abducted because someone saw their pictures on the internet...

But I also agree that you shouldn't put any pictures up without permission from the parents.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I think that if people want to post pictures of their children or the children in their lives on a webboard that's limited access (like Facebook) then there's nothing wrong with it. I'm proud as punch when my mom posts a pic of my son for her friends to admire and ogle. :) He's a cutie and she's proud to show him off. Her Facebook is limited to her friends only and, I'm sorry, nobody's trying to hack my 70+ year old mama's Facebook just to see my kid's smiling face (although, I couldn't blame them if they did).

Contrast that with my stepchildren's mother who posts the boys' photos on open websites with their highly unusual names and the name of the population 20 town in which they live. That's just not safe. I have a problem with that. A big problem. She also uses photos of her posing with them for her online dating photos on several dating sites. That's sort of obscene, don't you think?
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:29 AM on Aug. 7, 2009