breastfeeding question

I could never breastfeed my kids so I dont know a thing about it. but a friend of mine is breastfeeding her baby. Im wondering what the normal amount of time it takes for one feeding. the reason I ask is, the baby is 2 months old now and im really worried about her being hungry. She has her on a pretty tight schedule of no sooner than every 4 hours. When she does feed the baby, it seems like she is only on the breast for about 5 minutes and then she says the baby is done. If the baby chokes or coughs from drinking too much, she stops and says shes done. when she stops feeding her and the baby will fuss as if she wants more. Baby seems healthy and is growing, but does look quite thin to me. Im just wondering if its normal for a 2 month old to only feed for 5 to 10 minutes at the most and be ok for 4 hours? Ive tried to tell her i think shes hungry and she says shes getting more than enough.

modelmomof4

Asked by modelmomof4 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Length of time doesn't really indicate how much the baby drank. All women are different and all babies are different. They could be sucking harder and able to drink more faster, or something like that. I think it's odd that she has a tight schedule though. I always just nursed on demand and let him drink until he either stopped or he fell asleep.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:21 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Im the same way with my boys, i always just fed them when they were hungry. Doesnt matter if he ate an hour earlier.
    But this baby, if she fusses before its time, she just gives her a pacifier.
    She says the milk comes out fast, and she may very well be feeding her plenty, i just dont know because this is the first time ive ever seen anyone breatsfeed.
    It always took my kids about 20 minutes to take a bottle at 2 months old.
    modelmomof4

Answer by modelmomof4 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• DD was a power nurser! 5 minutes and she was done. I was afraid she wasn't getting enough, but she was. But I didn't stop her, she would pull away. If she was fussy, the first thing I would do is offer her a boob. The child won't eat if they're not hungry. Babies know when to stop eating, not like us adults who tend to stuff themselves silly!
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:09 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My daughter for a while only ate for 7-8 minutes on one breast, and that would hold her overnight even. And there have been times when she'll eat for 20 minutes total and be hungry again in an hour. It depends on the baby. So it's very possible that her baby is getting enough to eat; the only indications with breastfeeding would be enough wet diapers and growth.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:36 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• she should probably put her to her breast whenever baby seems hungry! her baby won't overeat so it won't hurt her to see is she needs to nurse. she shouldn't be giving her a paci when the baby could be hungry. you are right to think this, poor thing probably is hungry! if she keeps giving her a paci, especially if this is a growth spurt, she will never make enough milk and end up having to supplement or switch to formula completely!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• my litle one would only feed for 5 to 10minutes but i would feed her every half hour to an hour,it seemd the 1st few months was realy tough ur supposed to be feeding ur baby more often then that if ur nursing
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Im so jealous, wish i could have breast fed....it seems so much easier! But thank you for answering my question everyone, it was very helpful. I never thought you could feed a baby that fast. I would sit feeding my boys the bottle for what seemed like FOREVER. I could never get anything done in the first few months. So seeing her feed the baby in 5 minutes seemed crazy. thank you all very much for clearing it up for me.
    I do agree she should feed more often, but it makes me feel better that she could be filling her up in that short of time.
    thanks again!
    modelmomof4

Answer by modelmomof4 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• my son at 2 months would nurse for about 15-20 off each breast. i stopped timing but i never took him off before it was time. if he came off, i would try to put him back on and sometimes he did, sometimes he was just ready for the other side.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 4:17 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It seems a bit short, but I would go on the cues from the baby, i.e. f the baby seems full she probably is, if she keeps crying or making mouthing or rooting reflexes and tries sucking her fist she may still be hungry. Baby may be fussy from needing to burp or having gas in her tummy so that is not a good sign of hunger. But, in my experience with my daughter she will not STOP fussing if she is still hungry. Good luck!
    faeriefangs

Answer by faeriefangs at 2:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009