Jobless rate down for first time in a year. Isnt that great?

http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/07/news/economy/jobs_july/index.htm?postversion=2009080708

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We are starting to see the improvements that President Obama has made since elected.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It's still up in our area. I would love to see some improvement, but the stimulus has only added 1000 jobs to our state, 500 which were part-time and temporary, the other 500 full-time but temporary. So no new long-term jobs created at all, and no jobs created in my part of the state.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:26 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Yes, that is great. Because of Obama...eh. maybe. But didn't Gibbs get up there yesterday and say he expected a really big job losses number today? I think the WH was trying to temper this a little....
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I CALL BULL SHIT!  If you believe that, I've got some beautiful ocean front property to sell you in BFE, Kansas!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• they are only part time and temporary. Not the kind of jobs that pay bills. This is not everywhere. Some just can't find anything.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:34 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I have been hearing that it was unexpectedly better, however still not great. Everything that I have been hearing still says unemployment will remain high for at least another 6+ months, until employers are confident that they will need more people. This is always the last sign of improvement, what I have heard is that while the recession may end by the 4th quarter of this year, retail and the unemployment rate will remain high much, much longer, even if the economy starts expanding again.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• "The unemployment rate fell even as employers continued to cut jobs because the Labor Department estimated there were 237,000 fewer people it counted as unemployed.

That decline in the labor force can be due to discouraged job seekers who have stopped looking for work, people who now consider themselves retired or those have gone back to school rather than applying for jobs."

"The number of people unemployed for more than six months continued to rise, reaching nearly 5 million people, a record high. The average time that an unemployed person has been out of work reached 25.1 weeks, the highest reading in the 61 years that this has been tracked by the Labor Department."

Keep reading. "JOBLESS RATE DOWN" doesn't necessarily mean that people are going back to work.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• complete bullshit!!!! We just had another factory close down in our area and if you take into consideration the people who only have parttime jobs and use to have fullltime jobs the unemployment rate jumps up not down. obama has done nothing but shit on every program he touches, oh wait he did back up more baby killings way to go obama you asshole.
    amishmama

Answer by amishmama at 10:43 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• That unemployment rate falling is not a true snapshot of the true story. People are losing their jobs left and right (no pun intended...lol) Including my daughter and I and three other people I worked with.....so go tell that to someone who has a job that can support them.......they just might believe it.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:48 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I heard a disclaimer about the numbers though. It appears that the number only takes into account how many "active" claims are being served though unemployment insurance. It doesn't keep track of how many people are no longer being served because their bennefits ran out. These people are still unemployed but not receiving money. I would love to hear a real number of people who are unemployeed. I have 2 grown sons. One was just "laid off" with 15 others at just the time they would have earned their health insurance. A new "class" started working. My other son just moved home from Detroit where unemployment is at 23%. Neither of them have filed for unemployment. So, they are not working but also not reported.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 7, 2009