Due date question

Ok, I hope this isn't too confusing. I am positive that my last period was April 25th. That would make my due date January 25th. When I went to my first appointment, they did an ultrasound. All they could see at that time was the sac. The ultrasound measured the sac as a week smaller and said my due date was February 2nd. I had another ultrasound that measured the baby and it said my due date was around January 28th, but the ultrasound tech didn't do that one so it wasn't "official." I've switched doctors since then and now my new doctor wants to go with the first ultrasound and say my due date is February 2nd. I won't have another ultrasound for over 5 weeks so I won't know for sure until then. So my question is, is that possible that I'm only 14 weeks 3 days pregnant instead of 15 weeks 4 days when I know exactly when my last period was?

militarywife976

Asked by militarywife976 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes...you ovulate....but sperm can survive for 7 days before getting to the egg....so its possible that was your missed period but your cycle couldve changed or just been late by a few days and you got pregnant in between that time....its common...my missed period was november 17 my due date is august 31st, and i get my c-section on the 14th becuase he is measuring big....but i mean it is possible...
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• You can know when your period was or even know when you believe when you conceived but if the ultrasound shows a sac or baby smaller than how far along you believe you are then go with it. It's better to find out you are a week behind/ahead then not pregnant at all.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Pregnancy is 40 weeks, which is really 9 months and an extra week. So counting back 3 months and then forward a week (which is how due dates are estimated from your last period), that would make your due date around Feb. 1, not Jan. 25.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:25 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I meant April 20th. Sorry
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It's only ever a GUESS. Keep that in mind. Not every woman gestates the same length of time not all babies grow at the same rate. We are talking biological systems here, not items off a factory assembly line!

40 week is an average (a poor average at that). That means you can go earlier or later. Human gestation is a RANGE. It can be anywhere between 38 and 43 weeks -- 37 weeks being a rare low end and 43-44 weeks being the rare high end.

So you should think of your "due date" as a "guess date" and in actuality think of it as a BIRTH MONTH.

That said, accept the February date. It will cause less harrassment later.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:41 AM on Aug. 7, 2009