Is it okay to ask for help?

Recently (like last night) my mother and stepfather bought my 11yo daughter a brand new bike, helmet, and lock. Shes been wanting it for a long time and theyve promised her they would get her one. The problem is is that i should have spoke up and asked them if instead they could use that money to get my kids school clothes and supplies. I have been out of work with health issues since march and don't have any means to get them anything new right now. I didnt speak up because they had been promising her this bike and i felt it would be wrong to speak up. Should I have? Do you think its right to ask them for help with this now after they probably spent close to 100$ on her already? I dont know what to do!

blueeyedgrl2377

Asked by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in

• ask them for help. they promised her the bike so that's a GIFT. If they can afford it, they'll help you. If not, they'll tell you. Can you try to see if there's a community ministries giving away school supplies in your area? Talk to the board of education in your district to see if they know where to obtain free school supplies for your children. Most communities have some kind of program.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 3:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Well it would be difficult now that she has the bike and things to ask them to return it for school items, but I also feel like you shouldn't ask them for more help either. I agree you should have asked before the bike, etc. There are needy people all over these days and if you need help with things there should be places and people in your area willing to help out. Post a listing on Craigslist that you need school supplies and clothes. People give away things that are new or even really good shape. Just state that you can't really pay for them and maybe offer something like pulling weeds, washing a car, pet sitting, etc. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I don't think there is any harm in asking. I know it kind of hurts your pride to have to ask for help, but everyone needs help sometimes. I'm not sure how your family is, but my family is all about helping each other out. The worst they can do is tell you no. && to answer the other question about should you have spoke up && asked them to buy school supplies instead of the bike, no. It would have been wrong of you to ask them to help you with that INSTEAD of buying her a gift like they wanted to. Now that they have done that though, you can ask if they have any extra money to help you out.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 10:38 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• my family is wishy washy about helping...you never know from one minute to the next if they will help or not...i think thats what makes it so difficult for me to decide if i should ask or not.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't argue about the bike but it wouldn't hurt to ask them for some help if you need it. Just be prepared they may say no.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• you would think that they would have asked you if you need help, sense your not working and all, I don't get it my MIL is that way too always crying she's broke has no money then she blow her money on radom stupid stuff and then at Christmas and b-days she will says she's broke and doesn't get them nothing
    jtb427

Answer by jtb427 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• if they have the money to help then asked for help........................
    jtb427

Answer by jtb427 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I would ask them for the help, I am sure the would help you out in your time of need. My parents help with ANYTHING for school for my son, without questions. They buy him school clothes every year and supplies if needed, They pay his school fees too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• it never hurts to ask...The worst that can happen is for them to say 'we can't right now'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• my parents will do anything if I ask. I know that sounds aweful but they can deffinately afford it and they would never let their only grandchild go without something she needed. They even recently gave us $5000 to put towards closing costs on a house! So, I guess IMO it depends on how "well off" they are. If they are struggling too.... I would deffinately say its a big no no. If they are in a good postition to be spending money, I don't think asking would hurt any, especially if they know it is for school stuff.
    Jen110786

Answer by Jen110786 at 10:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2009