7 days to go...and for moms with more than one baby....any advice will help....

in seven days i will have my baby boy...and i have a two year old....and i just wanna know how ill manage it....taking care of my 2 year old and not making him feel neglected and taking care of a new born...i wanted to set out like 2 hours a day for just my 2 year old and keep him involved with the baby but i dont want him to hate me or think that i dont love him....because i do...he was my first lil angel baby and he still is my angel baby....he comes to all my doctors appt. and he's seen the ultrasounds and i just wanna know how to do it....this baby was a complete surprise and i wanted my son to be 3 and not 2 but what can you do....anyways...how to i show my son that he is still important to me and i love him with out hurting his feelings and by not keeping him left out?

Mamaof2boys0709

Asked by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My son was 22 months, and I was completely freaking out towards the end of my pregnancy for the same reason as you. But it really wasn't that bad. He adjusted really well, better than me actually, and it didn't seem to be a big deal to him. I had to work on a routine, especially as far as anticipating what he would want when I sat down to feed the baby so he wouldn't be whining for me to get up and get him something, but other than that it was a piece of cake. And he loves his baby sister to death. And I keep bedtime as "us time" with my toddler; I make sure the baby's fed and then my son and I go upstairs just the two of us and play and read books cuddle before bed. It really might not be as bad as you think it will; give yourself and your toddler a chance before you freak out too badly. :-)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:54 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Make sure you keep him involved! Thats the biggest thing, help him get the babys room ready and let him pick out outfits and toys he thinks the baby would like. Spend some time with him before you go into labor, and then when you do go into labor and you have the baby, when he comes to see his little brother let him give him something, like a stuffed animal he picked out. Have someone get your son a big brother present, he wil enjoy that. I have a 2 and 3 year old... both boys and they are their best friends. Although they tend to fight a lot and we're having an issue with sharing right now, but Logan would do anything for his little bro Evan
    d3vilbunny

Answer by d3vilbunny at 10:54 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• for me and other moms i have spoke to it actually goes better than we expect. we are always concerned how the first child will handle not being th eonly child any longer and for the most part they all adjust well with a few outburst here and there. For me i expected my first son to have the worst reaction to when we brought his brother home. and he did 110% better than both me and my husband expected. Once you get settled and have a routine it seems to just work. Good luck and congrats!
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 10:56 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Your son will do just fine! Don't "warn" him how different it will be or speak about the "less time" you will have with him. Keep it positive. Also, take advantage of the newborn sleeping! When my second came along, I was surprised at how much he slept. With my first, I held him all the time and napped with him. I guess I didn't realize how much he slept! My kids have been GREAT with the new siblings. They are so sweet and just love the new baby! We have had no problems - except for "loving" too much. They don't understand being gentle with a newborn. But that will come.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:56 AM on Aug. 7, 2009