What do you think of My letter from Senator Levin on health care reform ?

This is long....so please be paitent while I get the whole letter up here. ~Thank you!

Dear Mrs. Cole:

Thank you for contacting me regarding health care reform. I appreciate hearing from you. I have long supported the goal of ensuring access to quality, affordable health care for all Americans.

Health care reform is a top priority for the President and Congress. Nearly forty-seven million Americans live without health insurance, and many more live with intermittent or insufficient coverage. Rising health insurance premiums and unemployment have contributed to the continuous rise of these numbers. Congress has considered a number of approaches to this issue, including financial and other market-based incentives, expanding existing coverage options, and single-payer or national health insurance coverage.

tyme4me2day

Asked by tyme4me2day at 10:54 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• cont...
    Both the House and Senate passed the fiscal year 2010 budget resolution (S.CON.RES.13), which includes language allowing Congress to consider health care reform later this year under expedited procedures. This expedited process, known as budget reconciliation, directs both the Senate Committee on Finance and the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions to develop health care legislation that falls within certain budgetary guidelines no later than October 15, 2009.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:55 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• cont...
    The Obama administration is currently working with Congress on comprehensive health care reform. In the meantime, several bills concerning reform already have been introduced in the Senate and House of Representatives. Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) introduced the Healthy Americans Act (S.391) on February 5, 2009. This bill would terminate federal health benefits coverage, including the Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan, Medicaid, and the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), and, in its place, provide every adult with the opportunity to purchase a Healthy Americans Private Insurance (HAPI) policy.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:56 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• cot...
    Those not enrolled in another health plan, and who do not oppose coverage for religious reasons, would be faced with penalties (established in their home state) if they did not enroll themselves and their children in a HAPI plan. HAPI plans would have standardized coverage and state options, with guidelines for services to be developed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services with advice from a Healthy America Advisory Committee. Under this legislation, employers and individuals would share responsibility for the payment of HAPI plan premiums.

tyme4me2day

• cont...
    Representative John Dingell (D-MI) introduced the National Health Insurance Act (H.R.15) on January 6, 2009. This bill would, among other things, establish a National Health Insurance Board to oversee health insurance regulation. H.R.15 would impose a value added tax (VAT) of 5% on each sale of property, performance of service, and importation of property in the United States in a commercial-type transaction. Exceptions would be made for food, housing, medical care, exports, interest, governmental entities, and certain tax-exempt organizations. The revenue raised by the VAT would be deposited in a newly-created National Health Care Trust Fund to pay for health care costs not covered by other means.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:57 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I think that's very scary. Anything the government takes over is destroyed and we can't afford to have our health care destroyed.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 10:57 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• cont...
    In addition, Representative John Conyers (D-MI) introduced H.R.676 on January 26, 2009. This bill seeks to provide all individuals residing in the United States and its territories with free health care. H.R.676 would allow only public and nonprofit institutions to participate in the health care program and would prohibit for profit insurers from selling coverage that duplicates benefits provided through H.R.676. This program would be funded, in part, by increasing income tax on the top 5% of earners, establishing a tax on stock and bond transactions, and a progressive excise tax on self-employment and payroll income.
    tyme4me2day

• It's a form letter. I write my senators Burr and Hagan and I always get back some form letter thanking me and then tooting their own horn. At least I think I know they received it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• cont...
    According to public opinion polls, 90% of Americans believe fundamental changes in the health care system are necessary. I share the sentiment, and believe our nation has a moral obligation to ensure that all Americans have access to quality, affordable health care. I am hopeful both Democratic and Republican members of Congress will work together to develop a plan to address needed health care reform this year. Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
    Carl Levin
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:58 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I stopped reading his response at "47 million ...."

If they're not going to acknowledge that that number is severely skewed by about 37 million, then they're NOT LISTENING, and they don't care. Just looks like another copy and paste response, that his secretary put together and "rubber stamped!"

Sorry, but the representatives just don't get it. They don't HAVE to get it--even if they all get voted out of office in 2010 they'll ALWAYS have their "premium elected official plan," regardless of what the government doles out to it's commoners.

Maybe my husband or I will run for some political office--so WE can enjoy at least one of their perks!!! Seriously! Hmmmmmmm.......if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!!?!?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:01 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Yes, I realize this is a canned letter....the scary thing is these guys are hell bent on following their own agenda....instead of what we the American people want.

They just are not LISTENING to us.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:02 AM on Aug. 7, 2009