Non-Christians

What do you do when you are personally attack by someone for your beliefs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Depends on the attack and My mood. Some days I don't care and just ignore it and other days I'm spoiling for a fight and I'll confront. But as long as it's just words, it will stay just words. Interestingly enough when I was a Christian, I had more problems with other Christians than I ever have had being Pagan. That's my experience anyway.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I just tell them where to stick there ideas.

Answer by louise2 at 11:29 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• First I try to correct any mis-conceptions the person has about my beliefs. However once they disrespect me or my beliefs then I will no longer show them any respect. Sometimes I do this by combating their "misconceptions" most times I will simply report. It really depends on what is being said.
    An example. A common misconception is that as an atheist I don't believe in anything. A combat tactic would be stating it is a common misconception that we don't believe in anything but rather our beliefs vary from atheist to atheist. The one thing we all agree we do not believe in is the existence of a higher power or god. However other aspects such as belief in heaven/hell vary from person to person. I would also state the things I DO believe in.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• However it also depends on the manner of attack. If I am dealing with a repeat offender and one who continually likes to Bait I will report while correcting their incorrect "knowledge". I will not call names but I will make them feel inferior.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• explain why religion is a theory, and they can either accept that or not. Science will prove enough which religion is true and what is not in the end. Those that choose to bash me for my beliefs are just too closed minded to accept something like this, because it is the basis of their lives. If you crumble their wall by implying they may be wrong, their whole life crumbles. So they fight against anything that has potential of crumbling that wall.

(note: I've only dealt with a small handful of Christians like this, a majority of them are very open-minded, and intelligent enough to use science to help their cause, rather than ruin it)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:36 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It depends on what the situation is. If it's someone that honestly doesn't know what they are talking about (ex. someone that thinks pagan's worship the devil) I try to correct them and usually offer to get them more information. If it's someone that thinks their shit don't stink just because they hold the "perfect" belief system... I tend to inform them that ALL religions are based on a principal of love and that attacking others would not fall in to that belief. So, if they are truely a follower of the path they claim to they would learn to love others regardless of their beliefs. Tolerance is the cornerstone of any successful religion - which is why we don't have any yet...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Has never happened. I view religion as a personal choice, so I usually avoid talking about religion unless I know the person well enough to know how they'd respond.

For sites like these, I tend to ignore attacks unless they are open to a real discussion about it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Treat them in the manner they've earned.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:25 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Depends on the attack and how they are saying it. If it's rude and ignorant, I just totally ignore it. Life is too short to listen to ignorant people. If someone is actually interested I will take the time to explain my own beliefs to them.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 1:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I just tell them to mind their own business.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2009