So I suck at being a housewife! I NEVER make dinner, but I want to start. What are some easy things to cook for my husband and I?

I don't have to make food for my son yet because he is EBF so it is just my husband and I. We always buy frozen dinners and crap like that and I am TIRED of feeling like a terrible wife.

Anyone know any good easy recipes that can save us some cash?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• This is one of our favorites. Simple and easy and so tasty. You can make the filling and freeze what you don't use for later.

Black bean quesadillas.

1lb hamburger
    2 cans black beans rinsed
    1 small can chopped green chilis
    1 small onion
    spices...garlic, cumin, chili powder...all to taste
    sharp cheddar cheese
    tortillas
    Brown ground beef with spices, add chopped onions. When the onions are tender add the black beans and green chilis. Cook for a few minutes to let the flavors come together. I like to mush the beans so the quesadillas are easier to flip...beans don't fall out all over the place. turn oven to 350 degrees. Put some of the bean mixture on half of the tortilla and cover with cheese. place on baking sheet. Continue until baking sheet is full. Bake 5 minutes and flip, five more minutes and they are done. I cut them into pieces and serve with corn salsa.

This is enough for two meals/2a/3kid
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:57 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Honestly? I think that if someone's never really cooked then the very best thing is to ask a friend who cooks to come over and show you the basics. Otherwise, the basic terminology of recipes, even casual "here's what I do..." type stuff will seem too complicated.

Once you've got the lingo down, start simple. What do you like to eat?
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:44 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I know this sounds so sad, but I don't have any friends. haha Not any near me. and my mother lives so far away. I just don't know what to do. I know how to make spaghetti but my husband doesn't like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i know exactly how you feel. i dont have any friends either. and i dont know how to cook lol. i keep the house tip top clean and take care of our son but i dont know how to cook, my hubby ends up making dinner for us lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Check out allrecipes.com- they tell you if a recipe is easy. I also like that other people can comment if they like the recipe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• What sort of meals/foods DO you like? Hubby doesn't like spaghetti, is he against all pasta? Will he eat salads? Casseroles?
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Congratulations on your commitment to breastfeeding. You need to continue the healthy start that you are giving your son by learning to prepare healthy, tasty foods.

It is sad that no one took the time to teach you to cook. Go to the library, and thumb through some cookbooks. Check out a couple of children's cookbooks, my favorite is Pretend Soup.

A crockpot will make cooking easy; chop, dump, wait and eat.

I have a large selection of easy, tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly recipes; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

There are many recipe exchange groups here on CafeMomand on YahooGroups.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:37 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Ok, so start super-basic. Meat and heat is about as basic as cooking gets, right?

Take a piece of beef or chicken. Put salt and pepper on it and put it in a hot pan with a little oil (olive or veggie or PAM). You should hear the meat sizzle when it hits, but your oil shouldn't be smoking. Don't touch it. Walk away for at least 3 or 4 minutes. After that, peek at the flip side and see if it looks crusty and brown. If not, let it sit some more. If so, turn it. If it's burned, back off the heat or the time next time. Repeat on the other side.

Here's how to tell if meat's done. Touch it with your finger. Push it a little bit. If it feels like the soft part of your cheek, it's still raw inside. If it feels like the tip of your nose, it's medium. If it feels like the smooshy bit of forehead right above the bridge of your nose, it's medium-well. Always cook chicken to AT LEAST the medium-well.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I didn't learn to cook until I was over 50. Although that might explain why I have three divorces! lol. I went to drive thrus when I was rearing my children. I used coupons (buy one get one free type of things). It was cheaper for me back then to feed them that way so why would I learn to cook? My mom didn't cook either so no one taught me until I started hanging out at a local library and those ladies took it upon themselves to show me what's up! I make easy meals like putting frozen vegetables in a covered dutch oven and add spices then add frozen chicken (or fish or red meat) and bake that at a high heat and VOILA! Quick, easy and cheap. Last night I made a chicken pizza using flour torillas. I cut a chicken breast up into small pieces and quick fried it in olive oil on the stove. I put a lg tortilla in the oven brushed with olive oil (or you can do it without the oil) covered with toppings & cheese to melt & Woo Hoo!

Answer by admckenzie at 2:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I couldn't cook much when I got married. I started by following the simpler recipes from a cookbook, then choosing more complicated recipes. You learn without realizing what goes well with what, and before you know it you're making up your own bomb-@ss dishes! I also find that the recipes on the backs of cans/boxes are fairly easy and tasty. A box of linguine will give a simple recipe for chicken alfredo. A can of chicken broth gives a recipe for soup or scalloped potatoes. And you can never go wrong with the basics: steamed veggies, baked potatoes (even in the microwave), rice, etc. All cheap and easy with a side of meat/poultry.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 3:05 PM on Aug. 7, 2009