my son has a big problem with thinking I am leaving him and not coming back to get him what can i do to help this he is 9yrs old and i have never left him.

He has expressive lang. delay (mild) he is a second child. He has an older brother that is 14

cis1144

Asked by cis1144 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think you have to try to get to the reason he thinks this. Then deal with that issue.

In the meantime when you have to leave tell him exactly or as nearly exactly what time you will be home and then be there. If you can call when your on your way home. Any kind of assurance you can give before, durring and after separation will help.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:56 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• if you can afford it, they make special cell phones for kids that will only call a few certain numbers. maybe giving him one will reassure him that he can get a hold of you any time he needs to. I agree with the post above though. You need to find out why he thinks this and get to the root of the issue, otherwise it could progress into severe anxiety or a phobia.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2009