How do you deal with a co-worker you just don't like?

I've worked for this company 17 years and in this office for almost 3 years. I like my job and the people in the office with the exception of one man. He is driving me nuts! Always making "jokes" that are not funny, consistently makes mistakes that I have to fix, smokes on the back porch even though it is against company policy to smoke anywhere on company property, etc. I am afraid I'm about to lose it and go off on this guy. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• just do your job. as long as you get paid dont worry about what he does. sooner or later he is going to have to take responibility for his actions. dont waste your energy stressing about him!!! its not going to do you any good.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• be professional. Fume about him silently and deal with him or stay out of his way as much as possible.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:59 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Have you informed the HR department of the rules violations?

Answer by rkoloms at 12:29 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• "just do your job. as long as you get paid dont worry about what he does............"

But what he does, or doesn't do, affects my job. I depend on him for complete and accurate reporting and he never gives me good information. So I end up having to "fix" my work because he gave me erroneous facts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• "Have you informed the HR department of the rules violations? "

No, it would make me feel like a snitch doing that. It just pisses me off that he puts people in the predicaments he does.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• OP here, this is another thing he does.........

Our office is very casual dress. I usually wear jeans, khakis, or capris. Well I got a new skirt and blouse the other day so I wore it to work. Right there in front of about 20 men he says......"Are the bosses coming today? (My Name) is wearing a dress."

It was very embarassing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Honestly you have to think of yourself in this situation. We are living in a world where jobs are not promised. If you do something and lose your job it would not be a good thing at all. I say play cool!! Thank God I have my own business!!! Jenna
    Kamajehsmommy

Answer by Kamajehsmommy at 3:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2009