I'll be homeless soon, but is this an option?

I'm presently living with my sister but b/c she is now a foster parent, I have to leave. I was in a shelter before, due to domestic violence and when I was transitioned into another, my sis offered me a place to stay b/c the shelter was unfit for a mother raising children. My credit is shot b/c of my separation and my funds are limited. Soon I will be working with children (Sept). I fear going back into a shelter very much especially b/c my son who is 8 is aware and so smart. I've considered placing an ad on craigslist seeking temporary housing in lieu of cooking, cleaning, caring for, someone in need. When I work, my hours will be 8-5pm/9-6pm, so I would be willing to do overnight work for someone who needs someone to care for them. Tell me, is this an option? I don't have any official qualifications other than motherhood, which I'm quite good at. Any other ideas would be helpful. Thank you and pls don't judge me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• Have you tried looking into section 8 housing? Talk to you social services office. They should be able to help you.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• in the town im from we can go to the food stamp office(while your there apply for everything you are eligible for) ask if they have a help list, look for low-income housing or income based housing, then check with the area churches to get your deposits and utilities turned on. Find the free bus routes, then start riding the bus to see what types of businesses are on the routes and when the bus runs those routes, then start applying for jobs according to the bus routes & times.
    If your a good mom then there are daycare centers. To be a good mom you have cooking skills, cleaning, organization, time-management skills, etc...look outside the box. You have more to offer than just wiping runny noses..ok! Chin up girl...this is a good thing. You need to learn to take care of yourself that way no one will ever put you back into that situation ever again! Good Luck!
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 12:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• No, she only has a 2bdrm apt. I don't believe in staying where I'm not wanted and I've helped my family out so many times in so many ways. I don't believe anyone owes me anything BUT I also believe that she's treating me unfairly. But there's nothing I can do about that.

Section 8 isn't an option for me right now. But thanks anyway for that pointer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I think your idea sounds good. It would probably be a really good situation for an older couple or a widow. I hope it works out for you. Good luck and kudos to you for thinking outside the box!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I am sorry for your situation. Check out liviving with elderly. Also, I am sad your sister is more willing to help foster someone when her on sister and nephew are in need. Best of luck to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Thank you. I am keeping my head up and trying to be creative. There was a time where I was making over $50,000 yearly, but that has come to pass. Now that I need help, that's all I'm asking for, is a little help. I think I'll post that ad too. I have nothing to lose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• You poor thing, I am so sorry that you have to deal with this. Have you contacted the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE (7233)? What about local social services agencies, synagogues, churches, mosques, etc.

If you are in the Chicago metro area, please contact me offlist and I can point you towards a couple of great agencies.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I'm not sure how it works, but could you sign up with Habitat for Humanity? You could eventually own a home. You should also qualify for a rent-reduced apartment.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Yes, I was already in a d/v shelter because of the hotline. Thank you again. I checked out habitat for humanity earlier this year and it was booked so to speak (accord. to where I live) but I will certainly check it out again. Especially b/c I love homes and real estate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• What state are you in?
    Xuna

Answer by Xuna at 2:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2009