• In the Spotlight:

how much would it cost (daycare/preschool)

Im a SAHM. Im clueless about daycare/preschool hrs, cost, ect -- I never went to either!
My dd is a very social person & we do have play dates but i think she would enjoy some playtime away from mommy..
I would like to send her somewhere for 1 full day or 2 half days (like dropping her off & then picking her up before naptime/lunch so she would spend 2-3hrs for 2 days...
How much would this be? Is this reasonable to send her for just a little bit a wk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You'll have to call around in your area. For us...two days at 2 1/2 hours is $30 for one kid.

I wouldn't recommend a full day, though. Why pay for them to give her a nap when you don't have to?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• How old is she?? Does ur area/town have K3 program?? I don't think any bigger daycares do as little hours as you are looking for. I believe MOST daycares charge about $20-30 a day...maybe more?? Not really sure as I am a SAHM too. some schools have "head start" but u have to be in a certain financial status (lower) to qualify... hope this helped a little...i would just open the phone bk and start calling daycares to see what ur options are. make sure 2 check out the day care ahead of time. some of them are kind of seedy.
    lionslambs

Answer by lionslambs at 12:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• there is so much variation between centers, in-home care, and nannies that it would be almost impossible to give you a reasonable ballpark. some centers do not allow "part-time" tuition for part-time attendance, it's all or nothing. others are more flexible. some charge $200+/week, some are under $100 or even charge/day instead of /week. i guess i would say, expect anything from $25/day - $200/week.

i think it is completely reasonable to send her to "school" for a few hours a week. it's good for both of you.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 12:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Look for a place that does hourly care.

I know that the daycares on military installations have hourly care that's $3.50 per hour per child and they want 24 hours notice in advance.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It really depends. My son's preschool does full-time or part-time preschool. I choose the part-time and it is 105/month. It is a very good preschool with accredition and comes highly recommended. The waiting lists is another thing you will have to watch out for. My son's preschool waiting list was long.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• you'll really just have to call around. some places don't do part time care like that, w/o you paying full time price. my daughter went to daycare 3 days a week and we had to pay for the full day so even if i only needed her there for an hour i had to pay full day, and it was $96 a week. that was a center, you may be able to find a in home daycare that only charges hourly
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i would call around to local churches and look for a good Mother's Morning Out program. Sounds perfect for what you are looking for. Usually goes from about 8-12 or 1 at some places a few days a week and at a reasonable fee. Around here it's around $110 a month for 2 days.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:17 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• We are doing 3K, 5 days a week, 4 hrs a day and it's costing with all fees and everything combined 1400/semester or around $280/month. I looked into 1 or 2 half days a week at other places and they wanted to charge us just a tiny bit less that what we are paying for one half-day a week - it was crazy!! Their 2 1/2 days/week was MORE than what we are paying now.

Definately look around and see what you find. It may be too late, so look quickly! We're already starting here! GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2009