Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who do I complain to about a doctor's office who refuses to give a refund of money they overcharged me?

My doctor's office overcharged me by almost $300. They told me in June it would be the end of July or early August. I called today and was told it will be the 17th or the 20th or even later because the bookkeeper is a teacher and who knows when she'll be in.

Any ideas?


Asked by wildflowers25 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Health

Level 24 (20,696 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • firenicecream

    Answer by firenicecream at 12:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

  • I think it depends on the state you live in but I'm not certain. You could always start with telling them you will turn them in to the Better Business Bureau.

    Answer by firenicecream at 12:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

  • Dispute the charge on your debit or credit card

    Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

  • These were charges from my OB care. I paid them in $75.00 installments for 7 months. I found out my insurance covered most of the OB care and the doctor's office said they'd refund whatever wasn't used. So I don't know if I could dispute the charges now. But I called them and said I needed the number for the State Board of Insurance. They asked why and I told them and suddenly they said they don't have that and I said I'd get the number anyway from information and she threatened me with "telling the doctor". I said go ahead because I'm complaining the the state. Now I'm waiting on them for a callback and looking for a new doctor. And checking out

    Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

  • You can dispute the charges now and I would. Meanwhile I'd check with the BBB and the AMA and see if they have a complaint form as well.

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:06 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

  • You go girl. It is YOUR money and they have no right to keep it. It should never take longer than 24-48 hours to cut a refund check.

    Answer by firenicecream at 2:45 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

  • This happened to me once because the office only cut refund checks once a month. However, if it has been over 30 days since you requested the refund you should take further steps.

    Send them a certified letter asking for your money. This way you have a record of when you requested a refund. Otherwise it is just their word against yours and they may just say you never asked for it.

    Answer by Dyndudes at 3:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

  • I'm having the EXACT same problem right now: $300 deposit, two $92 installment payments, plus several erroneous copay charges, and they won't give any of it back. The insurance company says I only owe $20! I've considered disputing the credit card charge, however I'm concerned that the doctor's office will be able to fool the credit card company (since I certainly went to the office, and they can show them charges for that) and then use that as a defense for giving me NOTHING.

    I'm also interested in anyone who has had any luck in this situation. I have to pay my new doctor (who, oddly enough, charges far less upfront...), so I really need the refund.

    Answer by Lilchicken0728 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2009