Any breastfeeding mom's struggling with acne?

Ok you know how some birth controls help clear up your skin like yaz and many others... well us breastfeeding mom's can't take regular BC because of the hormones in it will lower our milk supply... I think those same hormones that we are lacking in order to have a good milk supply is causing my skin to break out bad. Every since I had the baby and started breast feeding it's been like this. I haven't had this much acne since the 6th grade! and I'm 26! Anybody else relate?

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 12:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• After I had my last son my face started breaking out a ton. I felt like I was 13 again but even then I didnt' have acne lol. My doctor perscribed a medication, not bc, to help clear it up. I can't remember the name right now but try to see a dematologist.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:20 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Here is how my teen handles her acne: wash your face twice a day with a very mild soap (like unscented baby soap) and a soft wash cloth; follow with a light, oil free moisturizer (she uses Lush). Once a day, before you wash your face, put on a honey mask (just honey, a great anti-bacterial). Every three days add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate. Check back with me in two weeks and tell me how this worked.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• yes!!! i notice a lot of women who breastfeed get shafted in several areas, one is the dry legs, im forever moisturizing and drinking water but they never seem to be satisfied
    one of the only things that helps my face stay clear is if i pump a little milk or squeeze some out and put it on my face once in the morning once at night :) try not to dry it out too much with product, make sure you exfoliate at LEAST twice a week and try to moisturize once in a while
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 5:06 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• oh yeah honey masks work really well to to extract extremities they make your face really soft too
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 5:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Drink plenty of water. Rubbing lemon peel on the skin helps in reducing whiteheads and blackheads.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 7:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I am 36 years old, my daughter just turned 1. My persistant painful cystic acne began when she was 6 months old. I originally saw my doctor who sent me straight to a dermatologist . I tried antibiotics, antibiotic gels, a range of over the counter products including proactive (I got my money back no problems even though I did see a slight improvement). I eventually tried out acne.org using the recommended "regime" which although was very drying, actually brought them out quicker which meant they healed quicker. Basically though - nothing gave me real relief. I tend to think the only solution is to stop breastfeeding. and use maybelline mousse concealer in the interim - it's fantastic! you can also spend more time with baby rather than socialising! I have just express weaned my daughter in complete desperation and am very much hoping that the improvement i have seen will continue. goodluck :)
    lacasacola

Answer by lacasacola at 9:49 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I weaned my daughter about 8 weeks ago and have acne around my nose and chin. Not big blistery boils, more like smaller bumps and lumps that just won't go away. I'm just finishing up a 28 day cycle of antibiotics that haven't made a dent. Next stop? Dermatologist :(
    mynaturalbaby

Answer by mynaturalbaby at 6:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2011