Anyone's infant fall down a lot while learning to stand/walk?

My son will fall on his butt when trying to stand and play. I try to catch him but if he is in the play pen while I am doing something I can't catch him. He seems find when he lands, I guess they have fat on their butt to protect them.

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He has to learn how to fall, it's part of learning to walk.

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:42 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My son was constantly hitting his head at this stage.. I wanted to wrap him in bubble wrap. You try to protect them as much as you can.. but learning is a bumpy ride!

Answer by Mommy2aQT at 12:43 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My son is the master of falling down while pulling himself up. LOL, just make sure if he falls down he cant hurt himself.

Answer by DarthPink at 12:48 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• The question is does anyone have a child who *didn't* fall?!?!?! They aren't falling very far for 1. 2. they have a cushy butt AND a diaper! Let him do his thing and don't worry so much.

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My son had a permanent purple spot in the middle of his forehead from falling over forward and bumping it.

You fall when learning to walk. As long they aren't falling down a flight of stairs they will be fine.

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• they have to learn to fall and get back up. you can't protect them from everything.

stop overreacting and let him learn on his own - stop coddling him.

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Well yea. How else are they supposed to learn about balance?

Answer by sk_tennyson at 1:48 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Seriously? That's how kids LEARN to stand. Don't catch him. He needs to learn how to do things on his own.

Answer by fluud7 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Don't catch him, let him learn. Also he needs time out of his playpen too - make sure he gets plenty of floor time. Yes, my kids fell all of the time when learning to walk - it's part of the process.

Answer by HybridMom27 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 7, 2009