My 11month old still is not crawling! we have hardwood floors and he got two fat lips & started bleeding so now I won't let him on the floor again to learn to crawl unless we are somewhere with carpet...What can I do?

ashnbra1

Asked by ashnbra1 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keeping him from crawling hinders his development. He is going to fall down and bust his head more than once. Let him crawl on the floor.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• crawling is not a milestone. lots of babies skip it. but if you're concerned about the hard floor (as was my SIL) get an area rug. it really helped her with her toddlers, you can have it cleaned and you can get rid of it when he's a little older.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 12:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i had the same problem i bought a huge play mat, the soft cushioned ones it works great
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Yep, I'd have to agree with lilbit. My son headbutts the floor, his crib... falls and bonks his head. My mom expects him to have NO bruises whatsoever, but this is virtually impossible. Kids and even babies will be...kids and even babies...... They'll bounce back.
    However, hardwood floors are a little hard for them to get a grip - we have them too. We usually just laid down a large blanket, but that tended to bunch sometimes, so we ended up getting one of those fun interlocking foam mats. You could get that?
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:57 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• LOLE! i just did a quick search for cheap area rugs and check out what i found! i wish i had hard floors now so i could get one for my little girl!

learning carpets

mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 12:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Get a grip and let him crawl.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Who said you could only get a play mat if you had hardwood floors. We live in an apartment with carpeting but still have area rugs to match our decor.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• oh no moonlover i'm not saying others can't. i can't. i have an inexplicable aversion to carpet-on-carpet. just a thing, we've all got our things :)
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 1:05 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• LOL. I got ya. I got SEVERAL of those.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Let him crawl! He's a kid, he's going to get hurt a lot! You're going ot have to get used to it. Look into area rugs and those matts (I have ones that look like puzzle peices) youc an put on the floor. I have tile all over the house and dd has taken a few falls to it. It's just part of being a kid. When he starts walking and bumping his head on tables and doors and falling, then what are you going to do?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2009