Does Your Child Keep a Cup?

All throughout the day my son has a sippy cup. When it's empty, I refill it. I overheard my neighbor telling her two year old (who was asking for her cup) that she had to wait until lunch time. So now I'm curious as to how other moms go about this. I keep a glass (usually tea) throughout the day; as I get thirsty. I feel like my son should beable to get a drink when he's thirsty. So do you let your child drink whenever he/she wants, or only during meal times?

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 1:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when my son is thirsty one of us will get him something, if its not heavy and he can reach he does it on his own he is 7. My 2 yr old i try to keep it filled, and if she finishes she lets me know she wants more. But most of the time she gets it from the water on the fridge she thinks its fun to push the buttons, and yeah she makes a mess but she feels like a big girl... I wouldnt expect my kids to only eat during meals...I know i get thirsty im sure they do. neighbor is kinda weird to do that.
    vanessa432

Answer by vanessa432 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• very bad for the teeth the dr dentist and health dept all so that was really bad for them. and give water between meals. soda only with a meal. course I dont give soda anyway.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Yes my dd has a cup of water allll day long. It is easier for me cause I dont have to refill at specific times and when she is thirsty she knows she has her cup. Plus in hot weather it is a good way to stay hydrated.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 1:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• As long as it is not juice.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 1:23 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• my girls have water bottles with water for all day, but get a cup of milk or juice with meals.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:23 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I should have added that my DS gets a cup of milk in the morning, then water. Juice for lunch, and then water. Sometimes he gets milk (usually more juice and yes 100% juice) with dinner. He sees me drinking ice water, so he loves it...
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 1:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I leave sippy cups full of ice water around all day for my twins so if they want a drink they can just grab it. I wouldn't let them have anything else though because milk or juice on little teeth all day will cause cavities :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 1:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Yeah, my kids can have a drink when they want one, not only at meal times. I do try to make it water, but sometimes it's juice or milk. Especially during the summer or when they've been running around, it's important to keep them hydrated. Kids know when they're thirsty, just like adults do, probably better than most adults do.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My son has a cup of water all of the time. It's easier on both of us that way.
    He doesn't have to keep asking me for a drink and I don't need to be constantly getting him drinks.
    He knows when he's thirsty.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

You dont give ur babies milk? I know it can cause cavities but thats y u brush their teeth. Or did u mean u dont give it to them all day?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Aug. 7, 2009