Not thumbsucking, but fingersucking

My 1 1/2 year old daughter never used a pacifier when she was a baby. Now, she has started sucking on her finger. When I ask her to take her finger out of her mouth, she starts throwing whatevery she can get her hands on to the floor. This is very unusual behavior for her and I really don't want her to end up with crooked teeth or an overbite, how can I break this habit before it gets out of hand? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

RACERBABE02

Asked by RACERBABE02 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• bad tasteing fingernail polish comes to mind...hehe but seriously dont get too upset yet...if she just started this it could be a phaze and she might outgrow it...give it some time
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• my mom never did the pacifire either and both of my sisters and I sucked our fingers for a LONG time! I remember she taped oven mits to my hands, it was horrible. And we all three ended up with mouth problems because of it. I gave both my girls a pacifire the day they were born and took it away at 16 months. They cried for a day or two and by the end of the week it was long forgotten. ( I know it was probably a joke, but seriously don't use nail polish. It smells bad for a reason, it's never a good idea to let babies suck on paint chips)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• You might try substituting some sort of "lovey". A stuffed animal or something similar. Personally, I don't think sucking her finger is going to be a problem unless she does it past 5. My son sucks his thumb and the pediatrican said not to worry until after 5. You may find that ddrawing attention to it increases stress and therefore causes more sucking..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• yeah, you've gotta find a way to break that habit. they make non-toxic bad tasting stuff you can use instead of nail polish. does she have all her teeth? my daughter chews on her fingers when a tooth coming in is bothering her. sometimes you have to make kids an offer they can't refuse: tell her she can have a popsicle after dinner if she keeps her fingers out of her mouth, if she can understand that. Or give her a teething ring she can suck on.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• lol i wasnt talking about REAL nailpolish...but that one they make to stop nail biters...that ones safe to eat...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• She could be teething my 20 month old started this 2 days ago and this am I was making him laugh and I stuck my finger in there to feel and he is getting a molar. I was telling him to keep him hands out of his mouth and he was geting upset as well thats why I checked good luck
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 4:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It does sound like teething to me.
    emily7707

Answer by emily7707 at 5:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• try giving your daughter some fruit in place of the fingers durning the daytime when the sucking starts to happen, when she starts the sucking at night time just try to take the fingers out of the mouth each time she starts to suck at night. I wish you the best of luck!
    sweetheart1207

Answer by sweetheart1207 at 12:26 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I really appreciate all of your answers they are really helpful. She is teething and I just didnt think that would be a reason why she would suck on her finger.
    RACERBABE02

Answer by RACERBABE02 at 12:45 AM on Aug. 8, 2009