Are schools fair when it comes to comparing boys and girls? (not for heated discussion) My boy seems to get in trouble a lot but when I go on field trips I see girls doing much worse and they get away with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i would HOPE thats not happening...but you have to consider its one teacher per HOW many students? if your son just happens to be one of the louder kids he will get noticed more....its hard for a teacher to catch everyone!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 2:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• um... is it a "school" thing. -- NO. Is it a "societal" thing -- studies have shown that yes there could be a bias there.
    Is it a "teacher specific" issue -- absolutely. And if you see that occuring you should document it and bring it to the teachers attention. It could very easily be an unconcious thing.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Yes it is true! My DH teaches fifth grade and he tells his class out right that girls get away with murder in his class while he's tough on the boys much more. Boys are more dangerous and get into more dangerous trouble.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:15 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I think its the teacher in general. I havent seen an entire school system be this way, but each person has their own person preference. I tend to like the sweet quiet boys better than the snotty loud mouth girls.....and I have 2 of each, so I know what its like. I m sorry your son is dealing with this.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:54 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Don't let this go on if your instincts tell you it is wrong. You are his mother and you have the right to stop that. Our society doesn't need anymore of that nonesense!
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 4:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2009