Is it right that I have to be bilingual to get a job?

i have been to so many interviews, and told that sinc I am not bilingual they won't hire me..how is it fair that I have to learn spanish but they dont have to learn english. I am hispanic but was never taught spanish, so pls dont take offense.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• My husband had the same issue recently.. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but if you want the to live in a country you LEARN the countries language!
    EliseMichelle

Answer by EliseMichelle at 4:06 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It is right for a company to do anything that maximizes its sales, if they consider having bilingual employees an advantage in their field than it is perfectly appropriate to make it a requirement for new hires. Everyone should have listened to their high school counselors when they said a foreign language would be useful.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I do think that it is a load of crap personally, do be denied a job because you don't speak someone elses language, but you have to look at it from a business point of view.
    They can't make their customers learn English, but they CAN accommodate them by having employees who speak Spanish. In doing so they get their business. Being bilingual = Business = money.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It's not fair. It sucks! But that's just how it is now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• IF the job requires you to speak to customers who do not speak English, then they really do need you to be able to speak Spanish to adequately do the job. I dealt with this when I lived in Hawaii and many jobs required you to be able to speak Japanese, which I don't. I could not get a waitressing job, but I really wouldn't have been very good at it if i couldn't take oreders from half the customers. It's agravating to be limited, but it's just like applying for a job that requires typing and you can't type. If they don't have Spanish-speaking customers, then the requirement is wrong and unfair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Yeah I am a medical receptionist, it just pisses me off that the interviewers only call me because my last name is hispanic and they ASSUME i speak spanish...A doc actually told me that after I wasted gas to drive the 45 mins just to get there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• If speaking Spanish is required to perform the job, then it is "right".

You can check Rosetta Stone out of the library, and learn Spanish

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• No I do not think it's fair but that is the reality of it. Our kids will NEED to know Spanish to have jobs themselves.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Seriously you are exagerating just a tad. Your getting a job has nothing to do with someone who speaks bilingual. Just go look for a different job. So what...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• it's not unfair, my sister has a distinct advantage because where we're from, french-speaking people have been around MUCH longer than english speakers, and french is still the predominant language amongst the older generation. my sister speaks french, therefore she's a valuable asset in her company (a hospital with elderly french-speaking patients). if you live in a place that has a large enough spanish-speaking population, then they are maximizing their assets to serve that group. i don't go applying for jobs that require a knowledge of calculus but i could have learned it in school if i chose. i don't get pissy if i show up in a market that requires calculus and they won't hire me because i lack that skill.

assets. get them.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 9:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2009