Discipline?

I don't want to spank my son but I don't want him walking all over me either. So what works? Right now he is only 16 months so I just tell him no and move him away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Different disciplines work for different things. Try readig about 1.2.3. Magic, or Love and Logic. There are lots of non-spanking discipline books out there - but the key things to remember are consistency, letting the discipline fit the behavior you are trying to improve, and patience - you will need to discipline over and over and over to help teach your child appropriate responses to different situations. Also, remember that you want to discipline your child, not just punish - punishment is just one small aspect of overall discipline. If you're only reacting to bad behavior, that's not going to help in the long run. You want your discipline to be proactive - it's teaching your child that's important, not just stopping bad behavior. Read up on different techniques and find the ones that work for you and your child! Good luck and have fun!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• At 16 months you can start teaching time out. Start with short periods of time and you'll probably have to sit with him and hold him. Remember to pick your battles too. Sometimes it's ok to redirect and other times he needs to know you are serious (such as going into the street, or picking up glass items or something that could hurt him)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i dont belive in spanking at ALL. I have a 21 mo old and have not and do not plan to spank. I do try and tell her no firmly and maybe will do the time out thing as she gets older.
    bubbaelea22

Answer by bubbaelea22 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My son has been getting time outs since he was just over a year old and they work pretty well so far. It's amazing how valuable 2 minutes of time is to a toddler. lol
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• No and time outs. Be consistent. Don't say No to something today and then let it slide tomorrow because you are busy or tired.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Unless you want to spend your day saying "No!", you should also master the art of redirection. With my son, a simple "we don't do " followed by "let's go do < better activity" often worls wonders.. Use "No" for things that are really important and/or dangerous. Consistency is absolutely consistent. My son is 2 1/2 and I've never spanked him.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Get a special chair and put him/her in a 1min time out. Add a min for every year. (Example 3yrs =3mins) Dont start the time until the child has clamed down and is sitting nicely. If they get up the time starts over. I saw this used on super nanny and have tried it. Works pretty well
    EliseMichelle

Answer by EliseMichelle at 4:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2009