how doi get my son to eat with a fork or spoon

Asked by Kalonsmommie at 1:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I gave my son a fork and spoon at each meal. He used his hands still for a long time, but he would watch us as we ate with our utensils and then he began to use them too. He still uses his hands (he is 21 months), but is getting much better at using his utensils. It has been a long arduous process, but he is getting better at them all the time.

Answer by YourSecretPal at 2:20 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Just put him in his high chair and give him the utensils and let him go at it!! It will be messy but he'll get used to it. One of the best foods for learning to eat with a spoon is mashed potatoes because it sticks to the spoon.

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I always give my daughter her own fork and spoon at the table... sometimes she trys to use it and sometimes it ends up on the floor and she uses her hands. Just recently, she has been getting a lot better at using her spoon and feeding herself applesauce and she gets really excited when she picks stuff up with her fork. I always praise her when I see her doing a good job at it. It is messy for the most part, but that's the only way they are going to learn.

Answer by msp12r at 9:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• i used to just give them to her to play with while she was eating and within a month or so she was able to eat with both her spoon and fork. She was 9 months old when i started and by the time she was 10 months old she had mastered it

Answer by katelynnsmommy1 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• We let Jada hold a little spoon in her high chair shortly after she started eating baby food/cereal...she seemed to like being involved in the process. By 10-11 months she had a pretty good grasp of using the spoon and now at 2 1/2 she's very good with a fork and's just practice, practice, practice...always make the utensils available and encourage them to use them even if their aim isn't so good! Beware once they get the hang of it they WON"T want you to do it anymore! Still remember the first time I was told "No mommy I do it!"...

Answer by JasmineUtberg at 6:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2008