baby not taking naps anymore

so shes 2 months one week old..and for a couple weeks now she wont sleep during the day anymore, but shes sleeping all night(wich im not complaining about)..but she will be so tired to the point where all she will do is cry and she will fall asleep but only for about 15-30 mins at a time, a couple times a day..is there something i can do to help soothe her more so she will sleep longer at a time? if she takes only like 2 good long naps during the day i wouldnt complain..but the way it is right now, is driving me crazy..lol

MaciesMommy09

Asked by MaciesMommy09 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wow, how long is she sleeping at night? do you breastfeed?
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• She needs to nap - but at 2 mo she doesn't know how to self soothe yet. Have you tried napping with her? This is just a phase, you've got to ride it out.

She's also at the age where you can start to ease her on to a napping sleeping schedule. Try coming up with a routine - a particular song, then maybe some soft white noise (I had a CD of waves crashing, VERY relaxing), darken the room, nurse her, and then lay with her as she falls asleep. Try doing it at the same time every day, and try not to be in the car when it's naptime. It will mean for a few weeks that errands and seeing friends and working out get all messed up, but it will be worth it! My boys STILL nap everyday because I am a "nap nazi" according to my friends. NOthing interferes with our naptime - and they are 3 & 5. But they are better behaved than their peers b/c they are rested!
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• she sleeps 6-8 hours at night..sometimes she wakes up earlier than that..and im not breastfeeding anymore due to personal issues i was having
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I had a really hard time when my son was that age, but he went through the whole not sleeping during the day thing too. I stayed very close to home during that time and tried to set as normal a schedule as possible - went on my errands at the same time every day, walk at the same time, eat at the same time, in an effort to get him on a set schedule with napping too. Eventually it worked and now his naps are at very predictable times. He's 9 months and starting to shorten his morning nap, because he just doesn't need it as much anymore, but he still likes the predictability of his schedule.

Answer by missanc at 2:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i have a 4m old.
    at 4wks, she was sleeping 12 hours a night. she also takes 3 napes. 9-11, 12:30-3, 4:30-5:30. i breastfeed her, don't use a pacifier... but she finds her thumb/fingers and sucks on them.

I am serious about keeping a schedule.
    mine is a good sleeper because she is self sufficient (i never rock her to sleep, i always just lie her down), and she has her thumb. i think you may have to let her cry it out sometimes during her nap... i know mine wakes up sometimes, and will fall back asleep within 10 minutes.

the only other thing i can say... remove distractions in her crib... run a fan to cut the noise... always put her in the same place...dim or turn out lights....don't feed her directly before she sleeps....
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• 6-8 hours is definitely not enough for a 2 month old. the only reason for asking if you breastfeed was to tell you not to drink caffeine, but that's not an issue. Try a few things:

give her exposure to sunshine during the day. take her outside and sit in the shade to avoid sunburn. when it gets dark outside, make it dark inside too, and keep the house nice and quiet. nap and sleep areas should be as dark as possible. turn the lights on or open the curtains during the day for times you want her to be awake. make her sleep in the same place, always. if she falls asleep in your arms or a baby swing, move her to her bed. create a nighttime routine and use the lavender baby wash and lotion (it really does relax them). do not try to structure naps at this point. she should be falling asleep when she's tired and waking up after a reasonable amount of time. there will be a pattern though.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 3:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• if the situation is desperate, they make these things called teething tablets (sold at drug stores and wal*mart) that relax babies so they can get restful sleep during teething. you can give her one or two of these at bedtime and naptimes to encourage her to sleep long enough to be rested. when all else fails, or if you feel you need to, talk to your doctor. it could be colic or an allergy. perhaps changing her formula will be in order. good luck!
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 3:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I should add that mini naps add up. those 10 minutes at a time or 20 minutes in the car cat naps might be sabotaging real restful sleep. you might just have to be homebound as much as possible for a couple of weeks to help her work out a sleep pattern. if she's really not sleeping at all except for those 6-8 hours, then I would talk to a doctor, because it might indicate a problem.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 3:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Have you tried putting her in a swing? That worked for my daughter when I couldn't get her to nap. Also, try swaddling her during nap time if you haven't already.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 3:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i have a set schedule for her at nightime and she depends on it very much..i use the lavender wash..were not out very much during the day..she hates the swing..i dont rock her to sleep, she usually goes to sleep on her own, with or without crying it out for a few mins, she always sleeps in the same place..and also recently she went from eating 6-7 ounces every 5 hours, to eating 4 every 3 hours..she just had her shots on tuesday, but shes been doing this before that..she doesnt go for the swaddling anymore..
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 6:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2009