At what age did your child stop eating from the children's menu?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I forgot to add that my son likes food that most kids don't. Not long ago we ate at Red Lobster. He ordered shrimp scampi, rice pilaf and a caesar salad. The waiter looked at me and said....."Is he serious? Kids don't normally eat that stuff."

This is another reason he quit eating off the kids menu at such an early age.

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 4:45 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I'm almost 21 and I just had chicken tenders from the kids menu the other day!! I think it's better for them to eat from it because the portions aren't way out of control. But if they want to try something from the big menu around 10-12 I don't see why not.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 2:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• We didn't have a set cut-off, other than I won't lie about her age to save a buck. It really depends on where we are eating and what is available on the regular menu vs. what is available on the children's menu, and also how strict the age limits are for ordering from the kid's menu. I still order off the children's menu for myself sometimes, or if we're going to some place with large portions I order an extra plate so my 13 yo can share with me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I still eat from the kids menu. :) Much cheaper and the right size. If my child wanted something that's not on the kids menu, I would allow him/her to have it.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 3:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My daughter's 2, and won't eat anything on the kids' menu. She doesn't like chicken nuggets, hot dogs, etc.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• At about age 6 ..................he has always had a huge appetite. Before my son turned 13, he would order from the child's menu and his 23 year old sister would order from the adult menu and they would switch meals.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 3:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My son is almost 8 and usually orders off the regular menu if we are out for breakfast. The kid portions don't fill him up. Sometimes my girls (9 and 6) will split an adult item instead of buying 2 kids' meals that don't have everything they want.
    A lot of times the kids get bored with the stuff on the kids' menu. My son loves fish but so far only IHOP has fish on the kids' menu and it's a tiny piece that he can eat in 2 bites. It all depends on where we are, what's on the menu and the prices. My son keeps begging to order off the adult menu at Red Robin but I can barely finish one of their burgers (then again, he can eat more then me so...)
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Why the need to be anon with a question like this?
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My daughter has never really eaten "kids foods". When she was little, we would order a side salad or vegetable, and she would share with us; by the time she was 7, she was ordering from the regular menu.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2009