Getting induced Sunday night? (T.M.I. !!!!)

I'm 5 days overdue and my doctor wants to induce me Sunday....
I'm only 2 cm dilated and 50% efaced.
She keeps asking me if I'm haveing any contractions and I just say I don't know.... the way everyone describes them and how I'm feeling aren't exactly matching up. they say it's like period cramps... but I just feel like sometimes I have cramps like I'm going to have a terrible bowel movement.... then sometimes I actually do go to the bathroom. So how can I tell if I'm having period-like cramps or an upset tummy? I had something come out after I peed yesterday that looked like what comes out at the end of your period... a very small amount of it though. and now I'm discharging a little brown....
I don't want to be induced if I'm already in early labor... but I only have two days until I'm scheduled to go in. What would you do? I feel like I should know these things because I'm a woman but I just don't :(

jachelle

Asked by jachelle at 2:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• What u r feeling is what I felt as actual contractions, if u want to start ur labor on ur own then try nipple stimulation or pumping
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Tell your doc to try other forms of induction before drugs like Pitocin. Ask for her to strip your membranes or for the cervical balloon thing. It won't hurt to induce you if you're already in labor, it'll just speed things up. But I've heard bad things about Pitocin.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 3:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i wouldn't go in. i told myself that if my dr brought up induction, i would tell him no. and if he scheduled a day for me to go in, i would tell him i wouldn't be there and wouldn't show up.
    the average for first time mom's to go into spontaneous labor is 41w1d. that shows that women do go over 41 wk.
    also, "due dates" are just estimates and based on a 28 day cycle and are just "estimates" and can be off as much as 2 weeks. i would just wait, unless there is a legitimate medical reason that you need to be induced.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 4:06 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• but I just feel like sometimes I have cramps like I'm going to have a terrible bowel movement.... then sometimes I actually do go to the bathroom...
    that was how my contractions felt, and i actually did say i have to go to the bathroom i think.... i got up from the hospital bed, had a bm. came back and within 2 hours had my son. (if it matters i had cervidil to help me dilate which increased my contractions, but i was already effaced. and my son was stillborn at only 18 wks (early labor/PROM))
    for contractions you should be feeling them not every once in awhile but more of a pattern with them.

i would suggest trying to walk a lot, that can help get the ball rolling. and you might not need to be induced.
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i wouldn't want to get induced unless the baby was possibly in trouble. based on what you said, i would wait another week before i even considered letting the doc induce me. but that's a very personal choice. but if you don't want to do it, DON'T! good luck going into labor soon naturally! :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009