When should I worry, what should I do? Aspergers or emotionaly slow learner?

My son is almost 2 but is as smart, physically as big, and verbal as a 3 year old, but I just realized today that his interactions with people tends to lean more towards that of a child closer to 1 and a half or less. I guess I just want to know if there is anything I can do to help this part of him catch up with the rest of him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Relax, all kids learn at different rates. Don't let the current rush to lable kids with autism scare you. He's barely 2.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My son exhibited signs of autism at 18 months. I did nothing. I wanted him to just be a little kid. He wasn't diagnosed till he started school at 5. He is 8 now and does wonderful in his school and with the help of other special ed teachers.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Please do not just accept "he's a late bloomer, kids learn at their own rate, etc" If you believe you have reason for concern then call your local Department of health and ask for Early intervention at the very least you will have peace of mind
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Aug. 7, 2009