Down in the breastfeeding dumps

So today I had to stop breastfeeding my 6 week old. When he was 4 weeks, I needed to have my appendix taken out and I didn't get to breastfeed him for at least 48 hours. Because of this, my supply went waaaaay down to the point that he was taking 2 or 3 oz of formula from a bottle after taking both breasts from me. I tried all different things to make my supply go back up. I tried drinking gallons of water a day, drinking a beer before bed (which helped the next morning but by noon I was producing nothing again), and I even called my OB and tried a few of their ideas. Nothing was working. Then the last couple days, everytime he ate from me, he'd scream in pain because of HUGE gas bubbles he'd get. Now I don't have the money to afford Mylicon all the time so I decided to just stop breastfeeding altogether and I'm feeling down about it.

Anyone else have a similar problem or just feeling blue and wanna vent?

TotallyWarped

Asked by TotallyWarped at 3:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ok so this is my sister that asked the question and i think that she explained it quite well shes not just stopping cuz her supply is going down tho that is a factor her little boy is getting horrible gas from her!!!! she also gets wic and they give you formula so shes ok on that but they are hard up to get mylicon all the time. i have a one week old and a 1 year old and bfed the oldest and now bfding the youngest our mother also bfd all 11 of our siblings. we are supporting her in this choice that she has had to make cuz its a hard one but her boy will still get lots of love i think this is whats best for him since hes a pain everytime he feeds from her!! so stop making it seem like shes just giving up cuz thats not making it any better she really hates that she has to do this enough!!
    julieobug

Answer by julieobug at 10:37 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I could not BF. I tried so hard with my first but nothing would come out. After trying everything that everybody told me to try there was only one option left.....the doc said he would get a long needle and stick it into my nipple to release the blockage........NO WAY!!!! So after crying my eyes out I quit trying.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 3:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• the same thing happened with me. My daughter was in the NICU for the first week of her life and for the fist 5 days they wouldn't let me feed her. She had problems latching and NOTHING would help, even after seeing 2 lactation consultants and trying SOOO hard. I stopped bfing at 6 weeks and pumped until she was 9 weeks. At that point my supply just gave up and I was only getting about an oz out of each breast. I hated it, but I decided that it was better for HER if I stopped and switched to formula (not the store bought.. I made my own with goats milk.. I refuse to use powdered formula)
    It's a tough decision, but you gotta do what's best for your baby.. even if it makes you feel crappy. Your still going to feed him, love him, and he's not going to grow up any different because you weren't able to bf him for the first year or whatever.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Just so everyone knows, I'm not really happy with having to stop but I was getting so emotionally depressed that I couldn't function so this is the best choice for me.
    TotallyWarped

Answer by TotallyWarped at 3:29 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• No but I would try fenugreek if u havent already and pump in between feeding him, or while u r formula feeding him then try and get ur supply back up by pumping every hour-2 hours and take fenugreek. Also lots of water.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:33 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Well, this is not really the same, but my DD is 5 mos. and has been bf'ing from me for all this time. She only started on formula at 3 mos. and even then only got 1 bottle of it a day and breastmilk the rest of the time. Recently she has not been wanting to bf. She'd rather take a bottle and gets mad when I try to bf her. I'm kinda sad about it. I thought I might even keep going for a year, but I want her to be happy and it seems the bottle makes her happier, so I think I'm going to start switching her to the bottle. I really don't want to pump every freakin' hour. I hate pumping more than anything and she's almost 6 mos. anyway, so I'm just going to start weaning her. It is sad, but I want to make her happy and she is way more satiated than when I just bf her.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Every one says increase fluid in tatke..... it actually does not effect your supply unless you are dehydrated. What does is DIET and supply and demand. When my milk supply is lower then it should be I increase my fat intake, pump after feeding my baby and then pump between feedings every hour. It is a pain in the a$$ but it is worth it and works amazingly well. Not to mention a few huge bowls of triple chocolate ice cream also help with the blues
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• you shouldnt just stop, your milk is still there, if you really want to continue breastfeeding bring the baby to the breast, the funny thing is theirs milk there, you just have to let your child get it out, your body is an ever flowing milk maid trust me, even on my lowest days my son is satisfied, try fenuhreek lots of oatmeal keep drinking the beer ;) bring the child to the breast whenever he or she needs it your milk will be fine dont let a dumbass dr sabotage you
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 4:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• have you tried herbs? you really need to talk to a LC. Ob's aren't really trained in bfing. the hospital LC is free. they can give you ways to bring your supply up. also, pumping after nursing helps bring the supply up. if you don't have the money for a pump, talk to WIC. you can get a free pump through them.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 4:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I HAVE TO PUMP MY DS IS 5 M,TS AND DOESNT LATCH ON I TAKE FERNUGREEK, EAT OATMEAL OR OATMEAL COOKIES, DRINK LOTS OF WATER AND DRINK A MALT BEVRAGE IS LIKE BEER BUT NONALCHOLIC. I HAVE A GOOD SUPPLY WHEN I PUM I PUMPO BAOUT 36 OZ IN A DAY. TRY WHATI DO IT MIGHT HELP. OH AND WHEN MY SUPPLY SEEMS TO GO DOWN I DRINK MOTHER'S MILK
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2009