Everyone cuts down my job...why?

I work at wal-mart making $7.90 an hr. It's not much but I've seen worse jobs. Everytime someone asks me where I work I get "You are making nothing" or "You work in the ghetto." I hate being embarassed about it. I know things aren't great in the job market. How do you get past the embarassment? Has this ever happened to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Also, I'm really tring to find a better job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I would say just hold your head up high and say it with pride. its good that you are working who cares what others think!!! You go girl. I hav enever looked down on anyone for working at walmart...heck we all shop there :)
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Put it this way at least u r working. I know people who would rather claim they cant work and get all types of government money. Dont listen to people, they are arrogant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i would smile and say i know there are people with better jobs, but in todays market i am thankful for what i have! people are so rude and uncaring! i cant stand that. a job regardless of what its doing or how much it pays is better than sitting on your butt letting society pay everything for you! you go girl! there is nothing to be asheamed of. those people with the little petty comments should be ashamed.
    pammd

Answer by pammd at 3:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• F-THEM!! Thats crazy that they would judge you! My mom delivered pizzas when we were young so she could simply feed us!! You go girl and work that job! BUMP!
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 3:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with it. You work and that's a lot better than what a lot of folks do. I used to work at K-Mart, which is worse than Wal-Mart where I live. I know how you feel. I always felt the need to mention my plans for going back to school or something that made it clear I wouldn't always be there or that I would be moving up at some point. I say don't apologize for what you do, but feel free to let them know you have bigger plans if that makes you feel any better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Work hard, and be proud. Where I live, $7.90 is good pay!!! The way to get past the embarrassment is like this: EXUDE CONFIDENCE. If you act like you're proud and don't care, the people making the comments will probably end up being embarrassed for saying that stuff. Just tell them you make an honest living and it's good for you. Tell them you love working there and you are content with what you have. Believe it too. They'll leave you alone.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 3:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• There's nothing wrong with working at Wal-Mart. My sister has been there almost 6 years now, she get great benefits, has 401K, insurance, and makes a bit more per hour than you do. She is a department manager. I say, go Wal-Mart! As you are there longer and work your way up, you'll make more than you are now, believe me.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 3:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Next time someone says that to you, say something like "At least I have a job." Or "It pays my bills so I must be doing something right!" And there is a Wal mart in almost every neighborhood, even the richer ones, so saying you work in the "ghetto" doesn't make sense!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• You shouldn't be embarrassed. You are making an honest living, and if it suits your needs and you like it, don't let some random jerk make you feel bad!

evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 3:37 PM on Aug. 7, 2009