Question about breastfeeding and pumping and dumping??

Ok ladies so tomorrow night will be my first going out moms night in over a year and a half and I have an almost 7 month old that I am breastfeeding still. My question is because I will be partaking in a few drinks(few meaning more then 2 or 3) how many could I have without pumping and dumping (max in an hour)? and if I do end up having to pump and dump...how many feedings should be dumped? I am so nervous to leave my little baby over night with my mom but this is long over due and its actually a bachlorette party im going to so I am kinda excited. Please help me with this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thres NO reason to pump and dump, just like you don't dump your blood to get the alcohol out, it just goes away.

If you miss a feeding yeah pump but really missing a feeding won't hurt if its only a feeding.
    Heres info from LLL, IBCLCs and other sources
    they are the ones to trsut when it comes to BFing becuase they have the training and the studies to back them up
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/alcohol.html
    http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bbreastfeed/0,,6pmn,00.html
    http://www.breastfeedingbasics.org/cgi-bin/deliver.cgi/content/Drugs/alcohol.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I breast feed both of my girls and their DR. told me to pump and dump for up to AN HOUR AFTER you are DONE drinking, then you can start giving the child your milk.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• If you're sober enough to drive, you're sober enough to drink. The alcohol leaves your milk at the same rate it leaves your blood. P&D really wont do anything. It's not going to get you sober any faster, and if you're still drunk you can't nurse no matter how much P&Ding you do. So, sober enough to drive=sober enough to drink. Have fun!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• That answer makes no sense to me^^

1stTimeMom2Ella

Answer by 1stTimeMom2Ella at 3:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Arisce is right - "pump and dump" is a myth, and it's not one supported by La Leche - they advise against it.

Think of it this way - your breasts are not a storage facility, they are a factory - they just keep producing and circulating.

"Pumping and dumping" will do nothing but waste milk. You can nurse your baby as soon as you feel sober. BTW, as for the first answer -

Dr's know little to nothing about lactation - they are NOT trained to give lactation advice, and any doctor who has advise "pumping and dumping" is a clear example of that.

Have fun on your night out!

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 3:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Both my daughters are staying hte night at my mothers house tomorrow night so the baby will getting pumped milk anyways until sunday morning. So if when I get home I pump to relieve myself and feed her sunday morning when I pick her up I will be fine???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Unless you are totally wasted (10+ drinks), I would think one immediate pump session after getting home OR an hour later and dumping that should be enough. If you haven't really been drinking much in the last year or so, than 2-3 drinks might be enough to make your pretty tipsy anyway. Just have fun, but don't force the drinks down.
    1stTimeMom2Ella

Answer by 1stTimeMom2Ella at 3:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I am not planning on getting sloshed lol but I dont want to have to worry about how many drinks I can have..I told my hubby I really dont want to get drunk bc then I wont have much fun adn I dont want to have a hang over the next day..lol thanks for the advice!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Your milk has the same amount of alcohol in it as your blood. If the baby is staying away overnight, the only reason I'd pump and dump is if I were engorged and just needed the relief to sleep. But your baby would be fine unless you were DRUNK drunk WHILE feeding your little one, and even then, they'd get very little alcohol, may just make them a little sleepy. I wouldn't worry about it. Have a good time!
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 4:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• personally if it was ME....i would dump a couple rounds just to be safe...Im sorry but Im not willing to risk it and if she's gonna have pumped milk anyway, you should relieve yourself and get rid of it anyway...I don't base everything around the LLL...everybodys body tolerates alcohol differently....I wouldn't want to risk passing it to my child. I think you're right for P&D! good luck and have fun.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009