Curse Words!

my little baby girl whos only 2 is starting to say bad words.i try not to say it infront of the kids and i dont and nither does her new step dad or her dad when he has her for the weekend.but i dont know where shes picking this stuff up but somehow she is!and we only watch things like family guy,robot chicken,king of the hill,the simpsons and stuff like that when anthony and alexis go to there dads for the weekend and linny goes over a friends house!how do i get her to stop.she cut it down alot but when my little nice babysits her and i tell her to be good. she says ok i wont say fu**.i just want her to stop.atleast when im not around.i use to cuss when i was like in middle school but never infront of my parents.and then i stoped when i had anthony.but alexis jsut wont stop!any hints?????

JessiAndMyAnty

Asked by JessiAndMyAnty at 3:43 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• well there you go:
    family guy- they cuss
    robot chicken- cuss
    simpsons-cuss
    king of the hill- cuss

and why let a child that young see those shows? bad mommy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• She is hearing it in your home because of what you allow to be on tv and what she has heard you or other adults say. How do you get her to stop? You scold her for it. If you are polite with the "oh now don't do that" she won't understand you mean business. You need to set the example.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I dunno. My 3 year old does it from time to time. We just tell him it is a bad word and not to say it. Then again, they are just words. They have no power unless you give them power.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 4:05 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• To the first posters: Why is it that TV is to blame?

There are so many places she could be hearing it. Family, friends, kids in the neighborhood, the grocery store, radio in the car, you and daddy may slip. Bad words are all around us. Yes, it may pop up on tv some times, but none of those shows have F word, that I know of.

Just talk with your child and let her know that you don't like those words and they make people feel bad so she shouldn't use them. If she's using them in a certain way, offer a subsitute word. If it's just random, gently remind her not to say it. If that doesn't work, you may need to punish but if you do that, be sure you punish yourself if she calls you out on it! :) If you are responding to it, she may think it's a game, so I"d try ignoring it first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Tell her it hurts your heart when she says those words. Each time you hear her say them, tell her your heart is breaking. "Please don't break my heart it makes me sad."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Well one way is to not react. If she sees you get upset over her saying a curse she will realize that word has power- cause mom sure fusses when I say that curse. My 'advice' tell her in a calm voice "we do not say those kind of words". You may want to give her a new word that she can use-- like if you are mad say 'oh fudge' (or some funny word/saying) instead of a curse word. If she hears you say it she might pick up and substitute 'fudge' instead of 'curse'.

'
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:04 PM on Aug. 7, 2009