Help! Need to lose weight but i am breastfeeding

Well this is kind of a question, venting, and need some advice. I was overweight before i even got pregnant, My son is now 4 months old and i am at least down to the 250 that I started with before getting pregnant. I am only breastfeeding, and i do not even know where to start with losing weight. I am so miserable, obese and tired. I love being able to breastfeed my son but as far as I know cannot "diet" while doing so. I am not even exercising, I do not know where to begin. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• The Weight Watchers plan is safe to do while breastfeeding - go to a meeting and sign up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I actually read that you can diet once your milk supply is established, I think like, after 8 wks. I sorta did. I wanted to get back down to my pre-preggers weight. I lost it all at about 4 mos. post partum. I just ate like I normally would and tried to cut down on sweets, fast food, processed food,e tc. I had almost no time to exercise, but I would do little things when I could, like walk down the stairs at work rather than take the elevator. I would say first, cut out all fast food. If you eat something fatty one day, like an ice cream, just ease up for the rest of the day on high fat stuff. Just by paying a little attention to what you're eating, you can make a big difference.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Oh and weight watchers totally works. My mom lost 40 lbs. on it recently.
    danielp

• While I was breastfeeding I could do what I want I did not loose any weight! I ate healthy, did exercise but the pounds just didn't come off... After I stopped breastfeeding i did some dieting and my normal exercise program and I dropped all the pounds and even some more!
    But what about you start with some exercise... Go swimming, walking, do some crunches... That will help you feel better! And as soon as you stop breastfeeding the pounds will drop!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 3:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I would start with simple changes.
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains a day.
    Replace meat and dairy with bean, lentils and tofu

Answer by rkoloms at 12:06 PM on Aug. 8, 2009