What is a good gift for someone turning 80?

My grandmother is turning 80 tomorrow and I still haven't got her a gift. What are some ideas?

LolosMom

Asked by LolosMom at 3:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Shopping

• burial plot
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• LMAO if you met this lady you would know she won't need it for a while
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 3:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• postcards, notecards, stationary
    if she still can write or my grandmother had someone do this for her when she was unable to. Older people are from the generation that does still know that letter writing is an art form and it is more personal than how we contact each other now a days

do not forget to get her a roll of stamps!!
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• burial plot---what a anon b!tch

my grandmother was 96 when she passed
    and she did always keep up on letters

forgot, if you like the letter idea, you could include an assort of cards
    birthday, anniversary, thank yous, and of course condolences
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I think cards/stationary/stamps is a GREAT idea. You could put them in some sort of basket or organizer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Picture of the family

Answer by admckenzie at 4:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Contact everyone who knows her, and ask them to write a memory or give you a photo of her; put them in a photo album.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• What does she like to do? I can tell you that she wouldn't like jewelry or clothes, most likely. Anything "collectable" or basically any kind of dust catcher is a bad idea.

The exception - up to date photos, already in frames, and an afternoon in which you offer to hang those (plus any others she'd like hung).

The number one thing she'd probably like is the gift of time visiting with her loved ones. How about asking her for her calendar, then getting FIRM visitations scheduled with each of her loved ones. Write it in the calendar (Like Uncle Joe will be there Tuesday afternoon at 2pm for 1 hour). No cancellations allowed. One-on-one or small family visits only. It's so hard to really talk to people at family gatherings, you know?
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 7:29 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• New photo albums. The ones my grandma has are falling apart and turning her photos brown. They were not acid free I guess. My grandma loves filling the new ones up! And offer to help her change them out and write on the back of the photos who, what, when, etc... if she can remember. That way, later on, hopefully many years from now, the information won't be forgotten when your grandma passes.
    Jeckers

Answer by Jeckers at 3:02 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• You probably have done this for her already,but pictures is a great gift.Especially of her family.
    Glorence

Answer by Glorence at 3:20 AM on Aug. 9, 2009