Gift for someone turning 80

My grandmother is turning 80 tomorrow and I still haven't got her a gift. What are some ideas?

LolosMom

Asked by LolosMom at 3:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• For some reason, I always get my grandma frames or pictures in frames. I know old people like that sort of thing.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My grandma likes to get stamps or gift cards to Dollar General or the grocery store. My mom always gets her some books of stamps cause she sends out ALOT of cards and postage adds up.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:57 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I guess it partly depends on her health and living situation - if she still lives at home and is in pretty good health you might go with a bottle of her favorite perfume, a pretty blouse, a framed picture of your family, a prepaid phone card (my husband's grandmother LOVES these and uses them to call everyone), a house cleaning service, gift card to her favorite shop and a promise to take her there to spend it...

If she is not doing as well or is living in a retirement home, then maybe comfort items like a soft blanket, a nice robe or nightgown, a small photo album with family pictures, a small framed photo of your family, a prepaid phone card,
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My Grammy loved owls and wolves so I always tried to find her small trinkets, wall hangings, and jewelry with those items. Especially if there was turquoise inset because that was one of her favorite stones. She was extremely proud of our Blackfoot heritage (she was half-blooded Blackfoot) and she told me that her most prized possession was the dreamcatcher my husband made for her with his own hands.
    She also loved bendy straws in all sorts of colors, but lived on a tight budget, so I would send her a pack of those with her gifts.
    She loved to receive something from wherever I was living (she lived in Maine while I traveled with my military husband), and she loved photos of the girls doing different things where we lived.
    She loved handmade items like candles, doilies, cutting boards, etc. and she got good use of a pedestal magnifying glass with a light so she could see what she was writing and reading.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Make her a scrap book full of pictures of her loved ones. Grandmas love that kind of stuff!
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Are you having a family get-together? If so cut up card stock into small squares and have everyone write a memories or notes to your grandma (can be really sappy or funny). Buy a pretty covered dish (your present!) to put all the cards in. My granny loved it when we did this for her- lots of laughs and tears. For example one of my cards said "Thanks for the big-boob genes", and another thanked her for loving grandpa so that we could all be here. Lost her a year later, darn it.
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 7:23 PM on Aug. 7, 2009